Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Cooking

I'm already cutting out gluten in my diet and I would like to cut out the lactose as well but will do so slowly. Anyway the main thing is that my mum is coming to visit and recently was told that she is lactose intolerant so she needs to cut it out of her diet. I don't want to make her ill or anything while she is visiting. Any good recipes for food that is gluten and lactose free?

Edited by Tally

For spreading, the cheaper "value" spreads are often dairy free.

If you make a curry from paste, you can add soya cream instead of yoghurt. (I find soya yoghurt doesn't really work, although the flavoured soya yoghurts are quite nice for eating.) Rice is already gluten-free. Poppadoms should be gluten-free, but do double-check the ingredients. You can get GF naans from most supermarkets, which are OK.

What kinds of thing do you normally cook? Let's see if we can adapt any of them.

Any gluten free bread that doesn't instantly fall apart when trying to make a sandwich would be nice. Tried having a bacon butty this morning and it all fell apart so I ended up having just the bacon and about half a slice of the bread (which is always tiny, and expensive).

Our favourite things to eat are spag bol, lasagne, curry and salmon with mash (not all in one dish obviously :lol: )

You can get GF spaghetti and lasagne sheets. I've seen them in supermarkets.

You can get a dairy free cheese sauce, also quite widely available. Alternatively, you could make your own using unsweetened soya milk (or lactose free milk) and cornflour. Obviously you can't add cheese, but you could add wholegrain mustard and/or a sprinkle of dried herbs for some flavour. (You can now get lactose free cheese actually, if it's lactose rather than casein you're trying to avoid.) I personally find that I can tolerate small amounts of dairy, so I minimise the amount by using a small quantity of strong cheese.