Sign in to follow this  
joanne1

On the dla form

On the dla form it asks you to tick boxes that apply to the child. e.g. learning difficulty, mental health problem.

Can anyone define what is meant by 'severe learning disability and severe behavioural problems'? Its both of these for the same box. Ds does have behavioural problems, but I am not sure what is meant by 'severe'. I am abit stuck on this. Whether to tick or not.

Joanne

Severe learning difficulties is normally children in Special Schools, some of whom have very challenging behaviour.

If you're unsure I'd say it's unlikely that it applies.

National Autistic Society have welfare rights officers available now and there is substantial information on DLA on the website so do look into these for support, also contact a family have booklets on DLA, ensure you get support with filling the DLA forms in as they are very difficult and time consuming.

JsMumxxx

I ticked "has a mental health problem" and "has a long term illness" on my forms. The others did not really apply/fit and autism is long term after all, and the DSMIV book many use to diagnose is Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, so I thought they fit better than the others in my case (well forms not for me but my kids)

Edited by westie

Hi

I'd seek expert assistance on filling the form out (ie from CAB). I did and got some fantastic advice - the woman who helped me asked me lots of questions about R. Things that I hadn't thought relevant or hadn't considered to be a problem (because it seemed normal to me), were pointed out to be relevant to the DLA application.

Regards

Caroline