Sign in to follow this  
Daisydot

sensory intervention therapy ???

We went to visit a special needs secondary school yesterday for our son for when he goes into year 7. During the visit the headteacher said they use a type of sensory therapy (i think) whereby, if a child gets stressed (they have Speech & language, hearing impaired and ASD pupils) the staff are trained to press down on the child's shoulders in a particular way and it soothes and calms the child down. Does anyone know what this is actually called or anything about this treatment/therapy. I was so busy trying to cram everything in my brain and take in everything she was saying I forgot to ask her for further explaination of this. :huh:

As always, your advice and replies are really appreciated :notworthy:

PS - I like these little smiley thingies, so here are some more just because i like them :robbie::jester::notworthy:>:D<<'> and :party:

Not much help on the specifics, but I think the same principle applies to weighted blankets in that some autistic people feel calmed by 'weighted' pressure. I saw the woman on TV (whose name I forget) from the US who adapted a machine used to hold cattle for herself, to basically 'squeeze' her all over. (Sorry for such a badly put together sentence!)

This technique is used bye OT. I think its caused sensory intergration therapy.

Its a way of calming the child down. The problem is you have to get in bef sore the childs meltdown progressed. Used too late and it is no good. Also it does not work all the time but can be reasuring for some children.

There are also body socks which the child lies in and the OT can pull the child along creating additional pressure similiar to the weighted blanket.

There is a book called the out of sync child which is very good. Covers alot of sensory issues.

Not much help on the specifics, but I think the same principle applies to weighted blankets in that some autistic people feel calmed by 'weighted' pressure. I saw the woman on TV (whose name I forget) from the US who adapted a machine used to hold cattle for herself, to basically 'squeeze' her all over. (Sorry for such a badly put together sentence!)

Her name is Temple Grandin

Her name is Temple Grandin

Thanks - it was annoying me that I couldn't remember her name, particularly as I was so impressed by her!