Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Anyone else seen 'The Black Balloon'?

Just watched it last night, and thought it was QG, actually, apart from one absolutely awful scene towards the end...

Toni Colletti is good (I like her - she's a proper actress rather than 'a pretty face') and the boy playing the autistic son is very convincing most of the time.

Not brilliant, and flawed in some ways, but a good (mostly) non-cheesy look at a family with a profoundly autistic adult son, and the implications of that for a sibling. Could be a bit 'in-your-face' for some who have really experienced only AS or HFA, but none the worse for that.

L&P

BD

hi Baddad, ive not heard off the black balloon! is it a film?

Yep! just out, I think, on DVD - though I was a bit confused 'cos it appears to be set about a decade ago (the autistic boy is saving up his star chart rewards for an SNES)...

info here

As I say, not brill (but def worth a watch) and the ending sort of makes you feel they realised the potential for a wider audience, but up until then it's good and i suppose a happy(ish) ending never hurt anyone :):lol:

:D

Edited by baddad

I have this film on DVD and thought it was good. It was good to see a film from the siblings point of view. It deffinately made me think about my duaghter (not that I didn't already) she has had to put up with a lot over the years infact she has just been dx with alopecia which I think is due to all the stress over the last years.

She often feels like bashing her brother in-and watching certain parts of the film was a reminder of what could happen.