Sign in to follow this  
pertweeplanet

Hi I'm new

Hi,

I'm Mum to a 14 year old boy,who's on the spectrum,also has adhd,and borderline tourettes,ocd and selectve mutism, the list goes on.

The doctors say he's a bit heinz 57 because he seems to have so many things,that they can't seem to slot him in to any one thing.

At the moment i'm really having trouble with his rages,they are so bad,they always have been but he's now bigger than myself,husband and dad,brother etc,etc,and once he is in a rage he just can't be stopped from destroying anything in sight.

All our doors are hanging off,upstairs the wood in the landing is just about standing but it seems the whole house if falling apart. The advice I was given was to have a penny jar and start the day with him having 10p then take away a penny each time he starts a rage- this really wasn't the answer. I'm so desperate for help with his anger,last night he hit me on the head with a metal tin and my head still hurts today.

I home educate him because he woudnt talk to anyone at school ,the teachers said he was just shy,then in the last year of infants a teacher said,they think there is something wrong with him.so thats when he was diagnosed as having autism.

although he is very sharp and very quick whitted,he cannot cross a road or go out anywhere on his own.

sorry to ramble but i'm just trying to build a picture of things and to ask if anyone knows about help with anger.

he saw a speech therapist and she said she couldnt help him because he wouldnt talk!!thats about the help i seem to get.

bye for now.

Hello there >:D<<'> , welcome to forum. Sorry about all the trouble you are going through. I don't have a teenager yet but when my son went through a bad phase of anger (directed at himself and others) he was followed by a wonderful lady who was into relaxation, hypnotherapy and all complementary techniques. This was happening through the school so she was very genuine and she worked in secondary schools as well, mainly with stressed/angry children She taught my son to relax through breathing techniques and to control/manage his anger. So I was a bit surprised the first time I found him reaping the whole box of recycled paper and screaming at the same time. This lasted 10 mn and then calmer. Much better than breaking valuable stuff which he has done in the past.

Maybe there are similar services in your area.

Hi, I have a 15 year old with ASD and I too have doors off, holes, broken things etc. It can be very scary. I once went to my Doctors to get my injuries logged on the system and told them I will carry on doing so until we got support. People started to listen and the nurse always asks how we are doing now. My son has a statement in school which isn't helping him there much, but it has helped to get people involved.

Have you any one from the children's disability team involved they may be able to offer you support.

We got a dog recently and my son's behaviour has improved a lot, also sensory therapy etc may help. Have you some where your son can go-under the stairs a tent etc you could put different sensory stuff (lights, goey stress balls etc) in and your son could go there when stressed. My son loves tents and sensory stuff.

A reward that has helped us is I lamenate a word-could be a picture (the reward) and cut it into a puzzle/pieces and each time my son does something that deserves a reward he gets a piece and sticks onto a velcro board-this works a treat!

My son doesn't speak much during school or appointments either and he didn't see the speech therapist as they didn't want to make things worse, he doesn't go to the dietian-I just go on my own. I understand how hard it can be-keep posting on here you will get lots of advice xxx