Sign in to follow this  
Emma_74

advice please

hi i was just wondering if someone could offer me some advice please - or at least tell me if they had incurred something simular.

i dyed my hair on sunday night and yesterday my son looked at me and said you dont look like my mummy anymore! but i know its you because you have that tattoo on your leg with my name on it!

this left me totally shocked that just because i had dyed my hair a different colour he didnt reconise who i was is this normal?

hi i was just wondering if someone could offer me some advice please - or at least tell me if they had incurred something simular.

i dyed my hair on sunday night and yesterday my son looked at me and said you dont look like my mummy anymore! but i know its you because you have that tattoo on your leg with my name on it!

this left me totally shocked that just because i had dyed my hair a different colour he didnt reconise who i was is this normal?

Hi.If your son has an AS or ASD diagnosis and you have dyed your hair a very different colour it may well be his way of saying he finds the change a surprise.

I smile because at least you dyed your hair.

I had a hair cut at the weekend and have not got round to dyeing it yet.

Ben and myself had a conversation yesterday...

''mum you are so so grey now you really do need to dye your hair''

[me] ''I don't think its too bad''

[ben] ''Oh but it is really bad.In fact it is more grey than that women that used to go to nursery when I was there.You know m.She was really grey but you are even more grey than her''........I do love him. :lol::lol:

I am about as old as m was when he was at nursery and feeling really old now. :lol: Karen.

When my son was little he didn't recognise me when I collected hinm from school if I had chamged my clothes during the day! :lol:

It may be something like prosopagnosia, also known as face blindness. I have AS and have the same problem. There are quite a few threads about this if you do a search.

Bid :)

When I started reading your post, I thought you had dyed your hair and something had gone wrong and you wanted advice about hair dye :lol:

It could be either of the above explanations. Both would be fairly common reactions in an autistic person. To reassure him, you could remind him that you are still the same person, still have the same tattoo, clothes and voice, etc.

thanks for the replies - it was just a bit of a shock as i hadn't come across this situation before. I'm not going to worry about it anymore :rolleyes: