I've got my assessment for hfa/as at the beginning of June and would really appreciate any information about what it involves, etc. I'm 21, so it's an adult assessment at my local 'autism resource centre' (in glasgow).

Don't want to tell my parents (well, not yet)- do I have to take someone with me or can I go alone/with a friend?

Also, I have social anxiety disorder and often completely panic and cannot speak/ only say a couple of words in stressful situations... will they get mad if I can't talk?

I am sure they will not mind if you go on or your own or take a friend.

You need to do what makes you feel comfortable and do not worry if you are unable to say very much they are quite used to this so will probably ask you questions lots of questions. My experience with the professional I deal with is that they are incredibly understanding.

It might help if you write down anything about how you feel or behave in certain situations as this is away to share with them what yo might find difficult to say.

Good luck

Don't want to tell my parents (well, not yet)- do I have to take someone with me or can I go alone/with a friend?

I'm quite surprised they haven't asked you to take someone with you - Autism is a lifelong condition and part of the assessment is to explore how the issues have presented across your lifespan - i.e. to ensure that this isn't related to your present issues with social anxiety and is a lifelong issue - so they need input from someone who knew you as a child in order to provide such details and also to talk about developmental milestones in order to ensure a correct dx.

I second the surprise you haven't got to take someone with you who can provide information on your early childhood. one of the first things my mother was asked was if she could remember any examples of 'unusual' behaviour from when i was aroud 5

Well... my local nhs isn't exactly organised, so if they do want me to take someone they'll probably wait until the week before to say so.

They didn't even tell me I'd got an appointment until I gave up waiting and emailed them to ask!

The woman who replied did say they'd send me a letter two weeks before the appointment, but only said it would confirm the date, time and venue- nothing else.