Sign in to follow this  
hamish

You have to laugh sometimes!

Thought I would share yesterdays amusement.

DS (age 5 dx ADHD) is what other people would class as rather 'naughty' child and rules and boundries are definately a point of contention in our house. Until recently his speech has been poor and it is only the last few months that I am starting to get a feel for how his mind works, which as it turns out is facinating LOL.

We live on a cul de sac which has a speed bump that seperates it from the main road. My eldest DS and all the neighbours kids of a similar age know the rule 'nobody goes over the bump' which they pretty much adhere to apart from DS (5) who is renowned for wanderlust. Anyway, yesterday eldest DS came in to report that his brother had gone off down the main road on a skateboard, cue a short trip to get him back. I then tried to expain why this was dangerous and why had he ignored the 'bump rule'. He seemed pretty put out and indignant as he informed me that he hadn't gone over the bump, he went around it on the grass to the side :rolleyes:

I guess that is a case of very literal interpretation, he clearly thought the rule was all about not crossing the actual bump rather than about not going into the road. It's really made me think about how I need to phrase things for the future.

Anyone else have similar problems with rules.

S x

:rolleyes:

Reminds me of when i told my son not to go any deeper than waiste deep in the sea on holiday.............he ended up over half a mile out to see with me screaming to get him back to shore whilst wadeing out to get him.His response was well i didnt go further than waiste deep......water was shallower than i thought.

Thought I would share yesterdays amusement.

DS (age 5 dx ADHD) is what other people would class as rather 'naughty' child and rules and boundries are definately a point of contention in our house. Until recently his speech has been poor and it is only the last few months that I am starting to get a feel for how his mind works, which as it turns out is facinating LOL.

We live on a cul de sac which has a speed bump that seperates it from the main road. My eldest DS and all the neighbours kids of a similar age know the rule 'nobody goes over the bump' which they pretty much adhere to apart from DS (5) who is renowned for wanderlust. Anyway, yesterday eldest DS came in to report that his brother had gone off down the main road on a skateboard, cue a short trip to get him back. I then tried to expain why this was dangerous and why had he ignored the 'bump rule'. He seemed pretty put out and indignant as he informed me that he hadn't gone over the bump, he went around it on the grass to the side :rolleyes:

I guess that is a case of very literal interpretation, he clearly thought the rule was all about not crossing the actual bump rather than about not going into the road. It's really made me think about how I need to phrase things for the future.

Anyone else have similar problems with rules.

S x

:lol:

I do have similar difficulties.However I have to say that in our case things are complicated.It would not beyond Ben's ability to understand perfectly well what the rule is but to come up with a convincing story regarding why it does not apply specifically to him.

He can attempt the most outrageous fibbs now.He just does not realise that he has a specific face that gives him away.

I will find the link to yesterdays attempt at having swine flu. :whistle:

Edited by Karen A

:lol:

I do have similar difficulties.However I have to say that in our case things are complicated.It would not beyond Ben's ability to understand perfectly well what the rule is but to come up with a convincing story regarding why it does not apply specifically to him.

He can attempt the most outrageous fibbs now.He just does not realise that he has a specific face that gives him away.

I will find the link to yesterdays attempt at having swine flu. :whistle:

It is not beyond DS to fib either, he is quite fond of fabricating stories, particularly stories that have no real point. Last week he told me a lengthy tale about how his teacher was giving out chewing gum for those good at maths (which is him), I am sure she wasn't as chewing gum isn't generally thought to be an appropriate thing for 5 yr olds but with hindsight the purpose of this story was probably an attempt to legitimise CG which is not allowed in our house LOL.

Arrgh!!! Not laughing now :angry:

Have just got back from another search for DS who took off on another of his missions without telling anyone. One minute in the garden, next minute gone. Found him eventually after driving around the village and friends and neighbours out looking too. Turned out he had gone searching for the homes of two classmates (he has no idea where they live so how he thought he would find them I don't know???) Was missing over an hour in total and from various eye witnesses it seems he has been all over the place.

How do I get through to him this is not acceptable, he is not the slightest bit remorseful or troubled by it. I have been trying to get him to understand why it is wrong but he just has a ###### answer for everything (beginning to think it was better when he didn't speak). He is grounded until weekend now, for all the good it will do.

It's our wedding anniversary today too, so much for a romantic evening together, we are both just really stressed out now. He on the other hand is chilled out in bed with his sunglasses on (he likes wearing them even in the dark :huh: )

Thank god for wine :wine:

Sx