call me jaded

Annual cake-making drama

Non-verbal son did manage to convey to his school last year that the best bit about his birthday was the cake, and of course they did get very excited and phone me and tell me, and Grandma has spent last weekend chatting to him about how fantastic it was... :rolleyes:

Thoroughly sick of chocolate cakes (run up a batch of brownies almost every weekend) so I have dipped into Antoinette Savil to do her Passion Cake - cooling as I type and I have to say looking and smelling rather scrummy and not in the least a substitute for anything. :thumbs:

Also fell over myself with excitement when I found a Pure soft cheese substitute today, so we are going for a DF version of the Nigella cheesecake that DD made for Grandma's birthday last week too. :wacko:

I think I 'peaked' last year though. Oh the pressure...

Also fell over myself with excitement when I found a Pure soft cheese substitute today, so we are going for a DF version of the Nigella cheesecake that DD made for Grandma's birthday last week too. :wacko:

Where where where? we've used 'tofutti' (i think that's what it's called, but it's a soft cheese substitute but a bit expensive) and do a silken tofu variation, but would give 'pure' a go any day of the week!

we found a LOVELY recipe for a polenta and orange cake the other week in sainsbury's mag: it was very nice! :eat:

Kathryn (she who makes her own puff) was supposed to be investigating gf pastry making - but I've heard nothing since :rolleyes: typical!

Juvela are doing a g/f 'roadshow' in T Wells soon - I must remember to book tickets and see what their 'expert' suggests re pastry.

L&P

BD :D

And the really depressing thing is that if you hand-craft birthday cakes/dressing-up clothes/school play costumes/dolls clothes/dolls house weenies, etc, etc to an eye-wateringly high standard...

Your blumin' kids take it all for granted and don't think it's anything out of the ordinary!! :shame:

Do I sound bitter... :unsure:

Boho :wacko::hypno:

Mmmmmm foood, as Homer would say. :notworthy:

Pure soft cheese was in Tesco!! I've had a taste - seems OK. Need to source some 'double cream'. Seen some somewhere, Waitrose maybe?

Bid when we were away the other week they all complained that I wasn't cooking. You have to let the standard drop every now and then :whistle:

I have an express chocolate cake recipe if you want it but you need one of those fleximoulds. You can cook it in the microwave in 13 min (yes 13).... It is mega easy and then you can spend lots of time decorating it. Let me know if you're interested.

Mel

Mmmmmm foood, as Homer would say. :notworthy:

Pure soft cheese was in Tesco!! I've had a taste - seems OK. Need to source some 'double cream'. Seen some somewhere, Waitrose maybe?

Bid when we were away the other week they all complained that I wasn't cooking. You have to let the standard drop every now and then :whistle:

Hi delia - 'Double cream' - the one I've found was in T's and S's and i think W's might do it too - it's called 'Cremo Vita' on one side of the packet 'Soja Saane' on the other and is made by grano-vita... it doesn't specify gluten free and lists 'vegetable fats' but specifies that the maltodextrin is from maize, which suggests they're making a point! 100% vegan, though and Ben has never had a problem with it... it actually tastes more like 'dream topping' than cream so will bring back memories of 'birds trifle!" The box i found at the back of the cupboard didn't say it, but last time i bought some it had 'new recipe' on the box and it was definitely nicer than the 'old recipe' but the old recipe wasn't too shabby either...

If you happen to find another brand post details, and meanwhile i'll lookee out for pure creamcheese at the 3 supermarkets we 'hit'! :lol:

L&P

BD :D

:notworthy: you are all wonderful.

My one & only attempt at a birthday cake for JP (teddy bear) looked like roadkill :ph34r:

That reminds me, we worked our way through that M&S/Jane Asher party book - princess icecream cone turrets, a chocolate 'bomb' with matchmakers sticking out of it (looked like one of those mines that sunk battleships), the piece de resistancebeing the hedgehog that needed a hacksaw to get into it.

How did that Pure soft cheese cheesecake turn out?

I contacted them to find out when my local supermarkets might be stocking but they haven't a clue yet :(

Made a 'tofutti' one this w/e as ben was nagging - i made up a new version...

Base was 2oz Digestives/1oz DS 'hoop' biscuits/1oz dessicated coconut, and then pure marge and some hemp oil to bind (hemp oil gave it a lovely hint of 9 bar ;)

I then whipped tub of tofutti with some of that Creamo Vito and a very good splash of lemon juice and some icing sugar. Last night it was a bit too runny, but the other half seems to have firmed up over night (fnar fnar) Topped with some 'value' strawberries.

Need to find an alternative to the Creamo Vito, and toffuti just isn't 'cheesy' enough, but it is still rather nice. :(

So - Pure Vs toffuti???

:D

You mean you don't remember Fat Freddy and his cat!! :o

See linky thing above...it may jog your memory!

Bet Pooks will remember!

Boho :dance:

You mean you don't remember Fat Freddy and his cat!! :o

See linky thing above...it may jog your memory!

Bet Pooks will remember!

Boho :dance:

Nope! Never seen him before in my life! :wacko:

Pure wins hands down. DS had it on his potatoes today - he just can't get enough carbs at the moment.

The cheesecake was too runny - still haven't sourced DOUBLE cream and used coconut cream which didn't really work until I put it into the freezer for an hour and then it was delish.

Just to show off:

cake

Best photo was DD taking Dad-(I-don't-eat-cake) eating cake. She framed it.

bid - remember the name FFC, but nothing else about it.

Edited by call me jaded