frogslegs

Help with exam stress please

I have been told that my son who is a clever clog has not done as well as he should have done in his year 5 SATS. He basically panicked and told me he could not read the problems anymore...

I had a chat with SENCO yesterday as we needed to set up his IEP and he is now on School Action but she was not sure how to help him to overcome this punctual stress. Have you experienced similar issues and how did you deal with them? I must say that this is becoming a big issue as he nearly failed his music exam and had to be taken out of the pool with basically a panic attack when he took part to a competition recently. I was wondering about counselling, hypnotherapy? What are your experiences?

i have AS , and anxiety and panic attacks i know not exactly the same situation but when i had my GCSE's and faced with exams and revision it scared me silly to point i didn't feel i do anything felt powerless and out of control didn't like it one bit! sounds like alot of anxiety maybe need to go to CAMHS and can help talk through worries and concerns with you and your son as professionals so they be able to teach him relax techqinues to help him calm like breathing exercises! sounds like get worked up and stressed anxiety sounds like takes him literally over and this maybe why his head blanks out questions as he freezes in his head! how long he had anxiety attacks and panic itself for long time? and what was his main trigger school? home? and in what situatiobn? does he get frustrated and confused ,angry upset with himself? what about GAD, panic disorder (PD) maybe need an child pyschtrist /pyschlogist to help him work through and improve current anxiety problems! sounds like could do with more help and support! when i had exams coming up used to panic and would trigger an anxiety attack i'd feel awful,dread sick,shaking have headache feel tense,couldn't sleep eat etc it worse for people with an ASD! i go to GP/family doctor and demand to be refered to CAMHS and see someone there explain personal situation in your son is in with doctor and how this making him poorly mentally and emotionally damaging to him which it is! and probably stressful for you to see your son going through this i completely understand where your son coming from at school! it isn't easy it a struggle all time! good that your son sticking with it though and not giving up! maybe his timetable could be looked at more and personally styled to him and his individual learning needs like having one to one sessions with an LSA ,SENCO teacher LS unit etc or having couple days where goes in and couple days off to give him time to have space away from anxiety situation at school! ? do you have IEP for him? and what kind of help and support he already have in place anything? sounds like you need to appeal to LEA and get him inclusion support! i get as many professional involved as team as possible! is your son naturally anxious? could he go on meds to help? or would you rather he didn't? keep all options open and available keep knocking on doors and do't let systems beat you! beat them to it! does your son get mentally tired easily? does find school hard going tough? and in what way? is school good with him? has got teacher he can trust? maybe have word and see if can help him in whatever way even if for a chat about exams etc!?has counselling been suggested to you? what about CBT?

good luck with everything with yout son!

take care

XKLX

We have had problems before when he was younger, at that point he self-harmed. Now I can't say I see this and this is the first year we have exam problems. This is new. He was officially diagnosed at Easter and an IEP is being prepared for him and as I said he is being put on school action. He is getting a mentor in the playground because that has been a big problem. We discussed relaxation sessions which is probably the right way to go. I have asked for him to get extra time to complete the exams but to be honest I don't think this is the real problem here. Before getting calling LEA, etc, I would like to try gentle approach, and would appreciate tips.

maybe getting him to unwind before and after exam ,do revision cards with him in different colours mind maps a booklet on subject pics and writing help with his memory! maybe listen to favourite music before and after or take favourite object that may soothe him calm him anxiety down! good that getting mentor this may social communication skills develop further and more easier for him and help feel less socially anxious and under pressure!good that IEP being prepared as this help work on targets and action plan help him succeed and move forward into exciting new challenges!

maybe sit down make up timetable of relaxation things he'd like to try and do things he enjoys and seek comfort from this could be video game playstation bath bide ride get him come up with fun ideas and also revision tasks for him to try with you supporting and guiding if get stuck and needs your help your around to that!? and alos revision ideas he'd think would work too? sit down and discuss and write down postives and negatives table to each idea?

good luck

take care

me X