Sign in to follow this  
pookie170

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!

Oh......my......god..........

How many times, I wonder, have I pondered over my eldest sons' lack of friends? Or wept over the lack of invites to birthday parties, or clenched my teeth in cringe-fuelled wince-contorted horror at my offspring's blatant social faux pas/outbursts/complete and 100% trans-fatty saturated meltdowns when another child has tried to initiate play with him?

I remember assuming, as I coddled my little darling in my arms and kissed his buttery skin, that the years ahead would be full of neighbours' children knocking the door for him, as they whiled away every summer night in the endless pursuit of fun, and I smiled ....fondly!!!! (Why do we have no 'Chiller' fonts, that should be in 'Chiller' font, that should!!)

Oooooooooohhhhhh..................

My youngest has made friends with a bevy of scabby-kneed, button-nosed, hairband-toting (albeit rather cute and charming!)local lasses and is ecstatically happy with his new-found friendships. And I'll admit to a bit of a lump in my throat as he scampered off up the garden path (take that as you will....) with them, in hot pursuit of a trampoline he was as yet unacquainted with and high jinks......

And now, focus on the sound of a car being crushed at the scrapyard, or a hated teacher drawing her nails down the blackboard.....

Cuz the daydreamz is over!!!

My god, if they come and ring my doorbell just ONE more time, I shall shriek!! And gibber!! :wacko:

They never stop, 'Is he coming out?'

"No, I'm afraid he's at his Dad's and won't be back till tomorrow."

Cue downcast expression...'Awwww.....'kay then....'

trudge, trudge, trudge, and away they go.

10 minutes pass. 10. Count them.

'Is he back yet???!!??'

I re-explain the deal, in case I was misheard last time. I look patient. I still am, in reality,because, aw, look at the wee mite, all disappointed..... :tearful:

'Right then...'Bye, Esther.....' (I swear I heard her give a snottery snif as she dragged herself homeward....)

20 minutes later, and patience is ebbing rapidly, just as the gaggle of doe-eyed enquirers is growing....

'Is he...'

"Nope!" I reply, curtness lending my voice a slight edge. "Tomorrow, remember? You've got to go to sleep, first! And remember a wee lie-in, too!" I josh back, hopefully sounding as jolly as I'm not, and frantically hoping they won't actually appear at 8 am, scooters a-waitin'.

Then, I swear it, 20 minutes later, and I'm beginning to wonder if these children have some goldfish DNA hidden in them somewhere, back they come, on various forms of wheeled travel, accompanied by the most enormous Zippy toy I have ever seen!

And the hullaballoo they bring with them, are ALL wee girls that noisy?? They appear to be more muted, where I work, and there's more of them there, for crying out loud!

Irritation is now prickling, for I am elbow deep in muck from cleaning out the snail tank, my nose is itchy and if I scratch it I'll have gastropod poo on my face! (its meant to be good for the skin, but I think I'll risk the crow's feet instead, ta muchly!)

I wash as the knocking grows in volume, and answer the door with a smile (I hope!) but am rather more to the point with them. The downcast trudge no longer twangs my heartstrings. I fear the tension may have snapped them forever....

Then at last, the OH comes home, and I wickedly flee upstairs to leave him to the deluge of damsels at their pining best. I snicker (bad!!!) as I hear the approaching rumble of giggling maidens, scootered up to-the-max like some surreal gang of youngest-ever-hell's-angels, and await the breathy tones.

And Phil answers, is polite and kindly as he delivers the blow that the boy is unavailable (Tomorrow CANNOT be that hard a concept for them to grasp, surely??) and they go. For some reason, that was that. No more expectant faces, turned up to mine in anticipation and glee......

Thank Gawd!!!

So, my point is, there is a downside after all, and I have hit oil, finding it quickly and being liberally blessed by it!!!

They're nice kids, really, and I am terribly glad my boy has playmates, but argh, I'm going to soundproof the door after knock#3 form here on in!! :P