Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Bruises

Does anyone know any good ways to clear up bruises quickly? I have rather a lot and some are quite painful to touch so anything that has so be rubbed in hard is no good. I've tried Arsenic Arnica (you only make that mistake once... :rolleyes:) which I suppose slightly shortens the length of time the bruise lasts but actually makes it look much worse and seems to 'spread' it. :unsure: Oh, and I've had the toothpaste suggestion, but I want to get rid of the bruises, not be trailed by a minty-fresh whiff!! :lol: :lol:

Any suggestions welcome - especially now it's warmer I'm getting a bit fed up of the looks (I'm trying to work out if people are thinking I'm a battered wife or a clumsy drunk student... :fight::huh::drunk:) I get when people see my arms!

hi mumble aint got any words of wisdom iknow arnica draws out the bruise thats why it looks worse x

ibruise very easily and look like im always in the wars x so wud b nice if anyone has any useful tips

goodluk mumble xxxx

Does anyone know any good ways to clear up bruises quickly? I have rather a lot and some are quite painful to touch so anything that has so be rubbed in hard is no good. I've tried Arsenic Arnica (you only make that mistake once... :rolleyes:) which I suppose slightly shortens the length of time the bruise lasts but actually makes it look much worse and seems to 'spread' it. :unsure: Oh, and I've had the toothpaste suggestion, but I want to get rid of the bruises, not be trailed by a minty-fresh whiff!! :lol: :lol:

Any suggestions welcome - especially now it's warmer I'm getting a bit fed up of the looks (I'm trying to work out if people are thinking I'm a battered wife or a clumsy drunk student... :fight::huh::drunk:) I get when people see my arms!

Morning Mumble.I was just wondering.Are any of the medications you are taking associated with bruising or with do they effect ability of the bllod to clott ?

Have you had blood tests done recently ?

It may be worth mentioning the bruising next time you see one of the doctors.Karen.

Have you had blood tests done recently ?

About 760!!! :lol: :lol: :unsure: I'm running out of Vampire Juice and told the last nurse I was going to start charging for it :)

I have two main types/causes of bruises. I have epilepsy and have generalised tonic-clonic seizures (meds have reduced these significantly but still working with docs to get meds right for optimum seizure control) - I have bruises from falling and from banging my limbs on furniture etc during a seizure. I also have a huge assortment of bruises from blood tests and having lines in. :(

I'm really bad at the lying thing when someone asks about my bruises - I try the laughing it off as a clumsy/drunk student (that would be clever considering I don't drink.... :drunk::unsure:) but I'm both not very convincing and then get stressed myself about 'lying'. :rolleyes: The ideal would be to find someway of getting rid of the bruises quickly.

Sod anyone who gives you funny looks, Mumble. Its a slightly different thing, but when my Dad was losing mobility/sensation through MS, he stumbled a lot, and slurred his speech which led many to think he'd been drinking. I can see why they might have thought that, but they hadn't a clue about my family's situation.....

It took some time, but I got to the stage eventually of thinking, sod them. (In the nicest possible sense, of course!) I'd probably never see them again, and didn't really matter to me or mine, so why care what they think?

Would you feel able to just say, 'I've been unwell' when people ask about the bruises? Cos that, without going into detail, should be enough for people to accept.....though some might ask more questions, I suppose.

I think you can actually take some form of arnica as a tablet, but I have no idea whether it would have an adverse effect on your meds.....I certainly wouldn't suggest them without you seeking advice from your docs first....(nor do I think you would do that anyway!)

Hope you manage to find a good balance with your meds soon, Mumble.

Esther x

About 760!!! :lol: :lol: :unsure: I'm running out of Vampire Juice and told the last nurse I was going to start charging for it :)

I have two main types/causes of bruises. I have epilepsy and have generalised tonic-clonic seizures (meds have reduced these significantly but still working with docs to get meds right for optimum seizure control) - I have bruises from falling and from banging my limbs on furniture etc during a seizure. I also have a huge assortment of bruises from blood tests and having lines in. :(

I'm really bad at the lying thing when someone asks about my bruises - I try the laughing it off as a clumsy/drunk student (that would be clever considering I don't drink.... :drunk::unsure:) but I'm both not very convincing and then get stressed myself about 'lying'. :rolleyes: The ideal would be to find someway of getting rid of the bruises quickly.

Hi Mumble.I am not explaining my thinking well. :)

Some medications can have side effects including reducing the ability of the blood to clot.This can cause an increased risk of bruising.I am not enough of an expert any more to know whether any medication you are on could be making bruising more likely.However it is worth talking to the doctor at the next appointment you have.The doctor may want to check your blood tests again or to check the results.It may be that the bruises are just because you have been fitting and have had lots of IV lines in.However it is worth talking to the doctor about the bruises.Bruises after having bloods taken or IV lines in can take a while to go.Sometimes they look worse before they look better.

Some people do just bruise more than others.I remember a failed attempt at blood donation after which I bruised so badly that my therapist had an interesting conversation with me.I knew she was attempting to establish whether I had decided to self-harm since my last visit having seen her for many years. :whistle::) Karen.

Edited by Karen A

As well as chatting at your next appointment you can get concealer from Boots - lighter rather than darker. If you dab it on with one of those triangular sponges it looks better.