Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Information for medical providers?

I'm going in for another surgery next Wednesday, the surgeon wanted me to bring in some information to give to the nursing team and also the surgical team. Is there a leaflet or anything that I could print off to give them? :notworthy:

I'm going in for another surgery next Wednesday, the surgeon wanted me to bring in some information to give to the nursing team and also the surgical team. Is there a leaflet or anything that I could print off to give them? :notworthy:

Yeah, tell them to ask one of the hospitals I was at recently for tips and then don't do anything they suggest! :o:shame:

For your surgeon - well hopefully you'll be unconscious when they're doing their job (if you're not, I would be thinking about complaining... :unsure:) so won't need to worry. The main people who need some awareness, from my experience, are nursing staff (I've found they're either really good, whether they've had training or not, or really bad and don't want to get it :() and maybe docs/consultants if you are seeing them repeatedly.

I've found the following on the net, wish I'd had these earlier, I think I might print a few copies and keep them in my hospital bag and medicine box 'just in case' - and make PALs perhaps aware too:

Your Next Patient has Autism

NAS info sheet - also refers to one above :thumbs:

Haven't read through them fully and you may feel you need something very basic about how autism effects you?

ETA: I just read the 'Beware' section of the your next patient leaflet ... hmmm, maybe don't use that :angry: Gotta love these negative stereotypes :(

Edited by Mumble

OK, I've had a read through the NAS one and I think it's better but I think you will need your own additions. It gave (for me) quite a good description of the difficulties with A&E and with the language used. The trouble I found was that the 'advice' to medical professionals if the ASD individual was stressed/anxious etc was to refer to parents/carers. Not all of us have parents/carers with us and the medical professionals need to be able to deal with us without passing on to someone else. :(

Edited by Mumble