Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Angry or Scared?

OK, I am officially confused. :unsure:

My GP said to me yesterday that "Most people who appear angry are actually scared."

Fine as a rule to follow in itself, and perhaps it fits the situation I was dealing with (loooooooooonnng story), but:

• Is it true?
  • How do you know when it applies and when it doesn't?
  • Are any other emotions mixed up in the same way?
  • How the heck am I supposed to work on learning facial expressions if what I've learn doesn't even mean what it means?

This has knocked me back a bit - I was chuffed at noting that the person concerned was angry and responding appropriately to deal with the situation. But no, wrong again Mumble. As soon as you think you've grasped something, the bliddy rules change. :(:tearful:

I think it means that the person is still definitely angry, but that the anger stems from fear/lack of confidence/insecurity/low self-esteem, etc.

Does that help? The emotion they are feeling and expressing is still anger, but it is caused by something else.

Bid :wacko:

Also, just thought: someone like a GP would probably meet a lot of people who are angry through fear, because they are worried about their health. Not sure you can extraploate this to apply in every other situation, for that very reason.

Edited by bid

All emotions can be mixed up.

I think one is excitement and fear. Like just before you throw yourself out of a plane and hope the chute opens or opening night at the theatre and you are performing for the first time.

You are not wrong in what you see. We all come across people who are angry and do not know what the cause of their anger is (or the cause of there tears or happiness). It can be because they have not understood a situation or have been treated badly. If it is because they are scared then the anger is to protect themselves against further harm. It is not good trying to reason with someone when they are angry as can misunderstand your support. It is best to let them calm down this can take quiet a while. Approach them again and try and explain your position and ask them to explain why they were angry.

Personality has a lot to do with how people react in any given situation. what angers one person will not worry another.

What complicated individuals we are. Even though we understand facial expressions and gestures we do have to ask what the cause of ones emiotional state is.

I am not sure if I am causing you more confusion or helping.