Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

Transition to adulthood

After my ASD dx at university, I had an assessment of my needs done by someone who was autism specific and aware of all the different services and supports available. By talking to me and discussing my needs, she could recommend, from all that were available, the supports that would best help me and allow me equal access to non-ASD peers. Funding for all of these supports was secured as one figure based on her report.

Putting aside the fact that I didn't actually get most of these services/supports (that's because it was the responsibility of those other than the assessor and there is nothing built into the process to check services are delivered) I can't understand why a similar process isn't applied to all adults on the spectrum. It would need built in review and the assessment body also to be responsible for ensuring it happened, but it is the coordination that is needed and that appears to be lacking at the moment.

The more bodies/agencies/groups/services you have without an overall coordination, the greater the number of gaps you create for an individual to be lost in and for one agency to say 'Oh, I thought XXX were dealing with that'.

I suspect there's an argument that the easier it is made, the more costly it is (because a lot more people will be accessing services), but I'm not so sure; in supporting people appropriately so that crisis situations are avoided, I would suspect you would actually ultimately save money (although probably from different budgets...).