Goody

Insomnia

Hi all,

I have insomnia in associated with Asperger's Syndrome(PDD ?) Does anybody taking medication when we fall in to insomnia ?

I'm so exhausted nowadays. I wanted to know how people Aspie cope with insomnia?

Regards,

Goody :tearful:

I don't have aspergers but I am an insomniac and you really do have my sympathy, there is nothing more infurationg than sitting on the edge of the bed listening to your partner snore his head off when you are so tired but just cannot sleep, my doctor isn't any help either, his ''solution'' is to go to bed earlier--anyway, what I do after a couple of months of either not sleeping or getting 2 hours a night is wait until the weekend or the night before a day you don't have to get up early and pop a couple of nytols (sp) you can get them from the chemist and as long as you only take a couple every once in a while they really help, the box says it's guaranteed to give you 8 hours sleep, it only gives me 5 or 6 but that's 5 o6 6 I wouldn't normally have, this is a serious problem depending on how bad you are, my eldest son whose now 27 was getting 1 hour a night but refused to take my advice on nytol, then one day he just collapsed in a shop he's ok now but after finding nothing wrong with him except lack of sleep the hospital and doctors just discharged him

Hi Sheuk,

Thank you very much for your comment. I found Nytol here in Japan. I am single and living alone but sleeping well in night is important for me. I talked tons of people but your comment might be helpful for day-to-day life.

Very Best Regards,

Goody,

:rolleyes:

Don't knock this one till you've tried it...

My GP suggested pod-casts designed for relaxation. I was not impressed, but wanting to keep on her good side thought it can't do much harm at least to try. If I'm lying there awake anyway, I may as well be doing something... :ph34r:

I found these pod-casts from the Mental Health Foundation.

I tried the one for use just before going to sleep. The first time, I just answered the doctor reading it out back (that would have been an amusing sight if anyone had seen it! :lol:):

Doc: You can feel your legs getting heavier

Me: No I can't

Doc: You're starting to drift off

Me: Wrong again

Doc: All your tension is leaving your body

Me: Pah!

:devil: :devil: :whistle:

However, I listened to it again and found it a little disturbing that one thing he said did actually happen. So I tried again. And again. And I have to say that now, it still doesn't make me go to sleep as it is designed too, but it does relax me enough to slowly drift into sleep and I think I may sleep better with it. Combining it with wind-down in the evenings (no computer within a few hours of bed), no caffeine before sleep etc. does seem to be making some difference to me. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hi mumble,

Thank you very much for introducing me the Mental Health Org. in U.K.

I downloaded some and copied to ipod.

Mostly, I am lying on the floor, bed for relaxing but I try to sleep but I can't.

"Taking a break is good for your mental health and wellbeing. It's important to take some time out to relax." is good for me now? ah.. I don't have any interests... go to shopping, watching movies, music concert and etc. from my childhood.

In recently, I just go outside for walking, shopping for meals and coin laundry.

i meet my cat where he is living different place once or twice a month.

The strong med makes me tired more. So, it is hardly difficult.

Thanks for your advice.

Goody,

hey there

i have insomia ,AS depression and anxiety i think MH probs and sleep closely linked together have you had / going through any MH probs at the moment? have you been docs about your insomia? how long you had it? i think some support and help from NAS to help get social side in your life hobbies interests help explore ideas may wear you out make you tired i found lavender helps me calm down relax the smell of it or listening to music writin in diary or having a bath

take care

good luck

XKLX

hey there

i have insomia ,AS depression and anxiety i think MH probs and sleep closely linked together have you had / going through any MH probs at the moment? have you been docs about your insomia? how long you had it? i think some support and help from NAS to help get social side in your life hobbies interests help explore ideas may wear you out make you tired i found lavender helps me calm down relax the smell of it or listening to music writin in diary or having a bath

take care

good luck

XKLX

i have take medication to help me sleep due to insomia i'm on strong anti-depressants 45MG which sedative based these helps me naturally feel tired and drowsy make me yawn i personally believe AS can cause insomia too and other related conditons to this! i feel so exhaused tired due to AS anxiety depression then not sleeping all goes round in one continous circle drags you down makes me frustrated!

XKX

My DD 16 AS dxed gets insomnia at times and she also has a reverse sleep cycle in that she will go to bed during the day and sleep until about 7.pm and then be up all night. CAMHS says that this is quite common for people with AS and she is using this as an avoidance tactic because of her anxiety. During the night there is nobody around and she can happily do what she wants without speaking to anyone and during the day she is sleeping to avoid people. There have been occasions when she won't sleep at all.

CAMHS have prescribed melatonin, which seems to have helped, but we tend to know when her anxiety leves are at their peak as she doesn't sleep at all.

Hi Goody

I saw a TV programme (on UK television) where they dealt with this problem. The insomniac (Dominik Diamond) had to only go in bedroom to sleep. To start with he had to stay up until 2am and then go to bed and get up at 6am (I think) even if asleep (?alarm clock?). He did this for at least 2 weeks on programme, he found it very hard at start but by end he was sleeping 6 hours a night.

I felt this make good sense. Laying in bed 'trying' to go to sleep just does not work, so take pressure off and 'try' to sleep for less time.

May be worth a try - better than taking medication, if your situation allows you to try this.

Good luck.