Sign in to follow this  
mumtothree

? hearing

not sure if this is normal and i know matthews hearing is fine but the last couple of weeks, we say something but its like its not registering. hes hearing is ok so we know he can hear but its weird and i dont know if its a normal thing.

like the other day we was crossing the road, there was a island in the middle so told matthew to stop but he kept walking, 3 times i had to say it b4 it registered. its like hes off with the fairies and not with it all. there r other things to that takes alot of repeating to get him to concentrate on what we r saying.

just wondered if anyone has gone through similar

Guest featherways

Mum2three, that sort of thing happens to me all the time.

How to explain it...

If I'm walking along a road, I'm having to deal with the huge amount of sensory information - the feel of the breeze or rain or sunshine, the sound of the cars, people walking by, distant alarms, birds singing, activity from buildings. The smells of diesel and petrol, grass being mown, etc. The sights of every single thing in front of me. The sensation of my clothing, the feel of the tarmac under my feet and the changes in balance from trying to walk at the same time. Your brain switches off nearly all of this so you can tune into the people around you, but mine has all of this coming into it non-stop. There's not enough thinking space left to hear the extra voices or see the people properly.

Not an answer, but it's an explanation?

Hi, my son who is now 15 never passed a hearing test until yr 4-5 of primary school and still has to go to the hearing clinic to be checked as he has problems with high and low pitch. He can hear but often seems like he can't-maybe i'm talking in dolphin eeeeekkkkk :whistle:

My son is like that too.

As already said, sometimes there is too much sensory information coming in and they cannot process anymore.

I think my son also shuts off some of his sensory systems so that he can cope with what is coming in through other sensory inputs. So he can frequently appear deaf, or lose sense of touch etc.

Another thing could be that they are focused on something else. Their focus is very tunnel vision, so if they are looking at something or listening to something they may only be focused on that and cannot hear anything or anyone else in the environment.

I would also google Central Auditory Processing Disorder as well to see if that is a possibility. My son has it and so do I. I frequently appear deaf to the extent that someone has to touch me to make me hear them. Or sometimes I just begin to tune into them as they say 'you haven't heard a word i've said have you?' Or sometimes I can only process one type of sound at a time. For example in the doctors surgery they have now installed a TV. Now all I can hear is the TV so when the receptionist is calling peoples' names I cannot hear what she is saying or my ears might hear one word from the TV and the next word from the receptionist and jumble them all up. Again it varies day to day.

There can also be auditory processing delays where the hearing is okay and the sensory information is sometimes 'stored' to be processed later. My son frequently answers questions minutes or even days after they were asked.