Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

GOING TO FLORIDA TO DISNEY

Hi

Going to Florida/Disney tomorrow for a week. I understand that you can get a pass for kids with an ASD in order to reduce waiting time stress! Can anyone tell me more about that please? What's the pass called?, where do you get it? and what proof do you need to take that the child has an ASD?

Thanks.

Caroline.

Hi

We have just been to Disneyland florida with my three boys. I took my sons DLA award for proof but found out when i got there that you can get a fast track pass which suited us just as well. What you do is go to the rides you want to go on and put you ticket in the machine it then prints you a fast track ticket giving you a time to go back where you dont have to wait for long if at all. If you think you will need a pass that gets you on straight away go to guest services when you get straight into the parks and see if they do them, they are very helpful.

I would also suggest getting to the parks early too as they are a lot quieter in the morning and also when going to magic kingdom be prepared for a 20min journey after you have parked your car, you have to go on a monorail to get there! plus take a pic of where you car is parked as there are 12000 parking spaces so it would be a nightmare if you couldnt remember where you have parked!!!! Plus if you are driving into the parks it is $12 to park!

We also went to busch gardens and although it was about 1hr drive from orlando it was our favorite theme park.

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy it as much as we did.

Brooke

We've gone to Disney lots of times and never had any problems at all obtaining a pass.

It's called a Guest Assistance Pass. Take proof of your child's disability (letter from GP with letterheading, or DLA award or dx) with you. Go to Guest Services when you first arrive at the park and they will issue the pass. It is good for all Disney Parks for the duration of your holiday. It covers you for up to 6 people (I think, as there have only ever been 5 of us), which I thought was brill. In the words of the cast member who issued us our first pass "you came to Disney as a family group, so you enjoy Disney as a family group".

For us it was a life saver as my son has real difficulty waiting in long queues. You will still have a wait, either in the Fast Pass lane or at the "handicapped entrance "(US terminology not mine) what we call, disabled entrance, but it is much shorter. I found cast members very understanding and helpful whilst using the Pass.

A wee tip, pack some plastic sandwich bags, to put the Pass in, as it will get really grubby and a bit wet after going on all the water rides.

This site, allears.com has some good tips on taking an autistic child to Disney

http://allears.net/pl/dis_aut2.htm

Enjoy yourself, I'm sure you'll love it