Sign in to follow this  
GrahamP

Thank You

Thanks to all,

I have felt a sense of isolation for a while now but, have not really been able to recognise it in myself owing to, I think, being too emotionally involved, which is probably true of many carers when it is for close family members....maybe to give the best care you have to isolate yourself emotionally.. probably the hardest thing to do, but for me I am beginning to think it is the best way for me to give the best care for my son.

Any thoughts are very welcome, I have a lot to consider....

Love and Light

G

There have been other posts around this kind of topic I think. For example many parents have said how the diagnosis and the subsequent fight for support and constant vigilence etc has meant that many families have had one parent stop working, or a single parent become a carer. This does have consequences. Whilst it can make the day to day events more manageable because you don't have the added stress and anxiety of thinking you've got to go into work the next day. It can leave you isolated.

But I think it is important to always try to set aside some time for yourself to do something you like. And I have also found that parent support groups have also been useful in finding a place to go where my child can play with others with the same diagnosis and I can just hang out and drink tea and eat cake without having to worry about what he is doing or what people are thinking.

Maybe others will post with specific help that is out there. I, for example, would love to have access to a babysitter who was capable or knowledgeable about autism. My husband and I haven't been out for years. Infact if we went out, I don't know what we would do! But it would be nice to have the choice, even if it was once every couple of months.