Sign in to follow this  
manman

trouble keeping jobs

Hi there

First time poster here, looking for some support and help!

My wife has aspergers. She has had a lot of trouble with keeping in work and she has told me today that someone has complained about her in her new job because of a verbal disagreement - only been there a month - and that she is now on a two week warning period. I'm at a loss and feel like crying as its the same story again. And as I type she has called me saying that she is on her way home now with only half the day gone. We cant afford to live on just my wages and I'm really at a loss - I want to make things easier for her and support us both but I'm unable to and I dont know what to do. Does anyone have any advice please???

Welcome to the forum :)

Has your wife told her work that she has AS?

Bid :)

No she hasnt. The person who has an issue with her knows though, so I dont know if he will go and tell. Its really strange because they were best of friends and now he's just turned on her and is being really unnecessarily vicious. The disagreement wasnt even work based - and now she has a two week warning.

Perhaps your wife could think of formally telling her employers that she has AS.

You might find some suitable information to print off on the NAS site so that her employer has a chance to understand her possible difficulties.

IMO she has nothing to lose by telling work since she is already having problems.

Perhaps your wife could think of formally telling her employers that she has AS.

You might find some suitable information to print off on the NAS site so that her employer has a chance to understand her possible difficulties.

IMO she has nothing to lose by telling work since she is already having problems.

Thats true. I'll suggest it to her.

I really appreciate the advice. Thanks for your help!

Are there particular issues that get her into trouble? It might be that she needs to avoid certain conversation topics that she can't get right.

It does sound like, in this instance, that her friend has used their employer to get his own back after their falling out, which is very sad.

Is your wife a member of a trade union, or is there one she could join? They will often help out with situations, even if they occured before the person joined. They might be able to advise your wife on her position.

Also make sure that you are claiming any benefits you or your wife are entitled to. Your local authority might have a benefits advice section that gives independent advice.

The Job Centre does have a department that is supposed to help and support disabled people back into work. Your wife may not consider herself disabled, but unfortunately that is how the system is and therefore it might be worth looking into whether they should actually help with this.

It might also help if she does lose her job for it to be known that she does have a diagnosis classed as a disability so that she receives benefits straight away rather than having to wait for them.

You might also find it useful to contact your local autism support/services groups and ask if there are any support groups for adults. Adult support groups tend to be more specific and supportive around work and family issues.

If your wife does have language/communication/social interaction difficulties then it could be useful for her employer to know about this and for there to be an agreed way of dealing with these issues.

Your local council should also have a Disability Discrimination department which you could talk to and get some advice from them as to what you can expect from the employer and what 'reasonable adjustments' could be made to your wife's workplace.

If, as Tally suggest, you told her that she just cannot get involved with certain issues because it will cause her problems - would she be able to stick to that?

Does she currently work in an open plan style of office? Could she move to an area where she is more private and would she think that would help?