zakk

3di test?

My 9 year old daughter is dyslexic & (we thought) dyspraxic. She was referred to a paediatric clinic following our concerns about possible dyspraxia, but they said she isn't but has loose ligaments, they also felt she has Asperger's traits. We are now waiting for an appointment for a 3Di assessment. All I know is that this is a computer based Q&A session for the consultant and me, as mum, to go through together. What will this tell us? Will it just be yes/no as to whether she has ASD, or will it give strenths and weaknesses, things for us to work on, ideas to help, etc? I feel she is on the spectrum - it fits in so many ways, but she does seem to be fairly mildly affected (mostly relationship issues, a tendancy to being literal in her approach & liking routine & certainty) - will it pick up milder cases? Her school are pretty understanding as she is currently listed as SpLD for Dyslexia and Asperger Traits, if this test comes back falsely negative (can this happen?), then they may be less sympathetic and helpful.....Am I doing the right thing?

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

Hi zakk,

The 3di test is a tool used by professionals to base their diagnosis on. Used alone, it could potentially result in a false negative, but a good professional will use it as it is supposed to be used - as an information gathering tool. Generally they will also use other techniques to gather evidence used in the diagnostic procedure.

You are definitely doing the right thing in seeking a diagnosis for your daughter. Even if it turns out she does not have ASD, the whole process should identify the difficulties she does have, which is key to getting the right support.