Sign in to follow this  
av16

Advice please

Hello, I usually post on here as a mum but this request is to do with one of my senco jobs. I feel I should know the answer but I don't so as this place has always been so good at finding answers I thought I's ask here.

We have a child in one of my schools who displays quite challenging behaviour, shouts out comments ' it's boring', 'that's not true'; gets very upset if he loses a game; struggles with social interactions and has lashed out. He has been SA+ for over a year, EP involvement, has a behaviour plan but his parents think he's just spoilt and naughty. Now I am not saying he has any type of disorder/condition at all, what I'm looking at is what I see in school which is quite a sad little boy with lots of issues.

The parents have refused all offers of help including going for a statutory assessment ( the EP has also suggested it). I'm concerned that next year this child will end up being excluded because of his behaviour. My question is, can a school proceed with Stat asses if it's in the best interest of the child?

I'm aware this might seem absurd to some of you who have a real struggle to get the help and support you need. I'm just really concerned for the child.

Any ideas?

This boy sounds very much like my son. It is a shame that the parents seem 'ignorante' about the condition. My son has AS and used to do the same in school. Though, I used to have those comments from the teacher not, obviously from myself.

I would urge you to find information, simple information, easy to read and pass it on to the parents. I have come a cross a lot of simple info. I will try to keep an e-mail from you and pass same info. to yourself. Hopefully the parents will listen. If you whan I can send a e-mail to, you as a parent, and you can read it out to them or let them read it.

As for, can you ask for Statutory without parents consent, I do not know. It is a issue I will get involved soon as the school where my son is, despite knowing his diagnosis are still far from understanding the condition. They make comments like;' Oh Well! We all have something on the spectrum.'

There is a lot of unfortunatly norrow minded peopple but I do believe that preserverance and diplomacy gets through.

All the best.

PS Send me a message if you are interested in my help for ways to brake down barries of a stubburn adult.

I haven't heard of it happening, but there is nothing in law which prohibits it, (and there is no parental right of appeal against a decision to assess, strangely enough). The COP 7:11 says that "schools and settings should consult parents before requesting an assessment" [my emphasis]. The parent has to be kept informed of everything anyway and in practice, it might be difficult to get very far without the parents' cooperation - as the parent has to ensure the child turns up for assessments etc. As we all know the success of this process is dependent on parental pressure to a large extent. If the assessment or statement is refused only the parents have the right of appeal.

A tough one, but I don't see how you can go ahead without the parents on board.

K x

I don't know, could you ask the LEA for their advise?

I just wanted to say that you are obviousely a great, caring senco. Also the boy is behaving exactly as my son was before he was put on meds for ADHD in February this year (he was diagnosed in sept last year) and he had lots of help put in place at school. School brought in Autism Outreach/the behaviour Support team and they helped the school understand him and his needs so they could support him more which also helped a lot.

I wonder if the parents are in denial and don't want to accept that he has difficulties beyond their control.

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. I need to think over the summer hols what to do. Teresa I may come back to you. For now though I have just started the holidays so no doubt will be kept busy by DS.

Thanks again - AV

My question is, can a school proceed with Stat asses if it's in the best interest of the child?

Yes. I've been doing this long enough to remember when the 'new' Code of Practice came in (2001 was it?). The introduction signed by Estelle Morris specifically states that parental permission no longer needs to be sought.

Good on you, av16.

Yes. I've been doing this long enough to remember when the 'new' Code of Practice came in (2001 was it?). The introduction signed by Estelle Morris specifically states that parental permission no longer needs to be sought.

I can't find any reference to parental permission in Estelle Morris's introduction. :unsure:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/3724/SENCodeOfPractice.pdf

K x