Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

'Long term disabled' entry prices

does anyone know if recieving DLA classes you as long term disabled for entry to theme parks/zoos. the place we're going has a discount for long term disabled and a carer, but i dont know if i count - currently getting low rate care DLA. it doesn't say anything more on the website. we've been there before, but only as part of a large group so didn't have to think of prices and so on.

is it normal to get disabled rates if you have DLA, or do you have to look disabled (wheelchair etc) in which case i wont qualify.

I don't know Nobby but I think different places have different entry criteria. I expect most places offering this kind of discount would accept proof of DLA as evidence. To decide who is disabled on the basis of appearance would be discriminatory. I think it would be a good idea to phone or email them directly and ask.

K x

Normally it is DLA, but some places it is Incapacity Benefit. I have had discounts or free entry by asking if they do discounts for disabled people. I carry my DLA letter with me as evidence of my disability, but have never been asked for evidence so far.

We go to a local farm and DS1 gets in as disabled and i get in free as his carer, i have never once been asked for proof.

Hi,

We normally take a copy of the DLA or carers allowance (doesn't matter which level ) or i have a report from St Georges hospital that lists OJ's dx's and Thorpe Park, Legoland, Chessington provide a band for the person to wear - this allows you to fast track rides - normally if you have one of the special offers for theme parks ie pay for one and one goes free, these are cheaper than the reduction you would get for being disabled with carer. I know a couple of zoos have given us a really good reduction as have theatres in the West End. I think some of the cinemas will also do reductions and our council will provide a card that gets reduced prices for swimming pools and council run activities.

Hope this helps

Stella xx