Sign in to follow this  
Julieanne

Escaping - very scary :(

My son is 9 and we just moved to a bungalow with fields all around us , as he likes to escape and run off, which of course to him was a huge game...we have locks everywhere, and we all carry a lanyard with keys around our necks at all time...it really is like living in a prison rather than a home.

He went to spend a night with his grandma, and she left the window open slightly, with the lock on, he managed to force the window open and escape.....he has amazing strength for his age ( 9yrs).

It happened at 6am and he made his way up her lane to the busy main junction where a passer by found him in just jim jams, and laying in road :o

who luckily wasnt a weirdo and he held her hand and said ''go to grandmas house'' and hr lead her back. the police were called by this lady who found him as she realized quickly he was low functioning autistic and my poor mum in law was in bits, she feels so guilty about it happening, but all we can do is take the maximum precautions, he is a real houdini and could get himself out of chains that boy!!!

But thankfully he was fine, social services were involved and they seemed to think this sort of thing was common amongst autistic children.

I have never been so scared in all my life, and what worries me is that what happens as he gets older?

I have padlocks galore and i worry for the future.

has anyone had anything like this with their child, and if so, did he repeat it? he just laughs and thinks it is great fun while all time we are having a heartattack :crying:

I was scared social services would take him away with them thinking it was negligence, but they did understand, and it is hard when u make your fences higher than normal, locks everywhere, gates, window locks, every concievable thing and he still escapes, i just am so scared of what he may do next. :(

Any advice?

Thankyou Julieanne xx

That must have been a horrible experience for you and your mum in law. Thank goodness for decent people, like the lady who rescued him.

Sorry Julieanne, no advice to offer, but maybe someone else on the forum has been in a similar situation and has some ideas.

K x

I can't give much advice other than high fences and padlocked gates. Fortunately my son is not so observant and often doesn't notice when we forget to padlock it properly :whistle: Although my son is good in that he always brings himself home if he can find someone to bring him back (he knows his address, and has it in his mind that he must not cross roads without an adult - doesn't always apply when running off, but apparently does when coming back :rolleyes: ). We have given him his own mobile phone - it is locked to just me, dad & Mother-in-Law's numbers, but we can call to find out where he is if he disappears. You can also look at getting him "dogtags" or something saying he is autistic and if found please return to......LOL

My son has got a lot better about it as he gets older. he still runs sometimes, but usually when upset about something, which means while someone else is there, so we can grab/chase him!

I can't give much advice other than high fences and padlocked gates. Fortunately my son is not so observant and often doesn't notice when we forget to padlock it properly :whistle: Although my son is good in that he always brings himself home if he can find someone to bring him back (he knows his address, and has it in his mind that he must not cross roads without an adult - doesn't always apply when running off, but apparently does when coming back :rolleyes: ). We have given him his own mobile phone - it is locked to just me, dad & Mother-in-Law's numbers, but we can call to find out where he is if he disappears. You can also look at getting him "dogtags" or something saying he is autistic and if found please return to......LOL

My son has got a lot better about it as he gets older. he still runs sometimes, but usually when upset about something, which means while someone else is there, so we can grab/chase him!

can't offer any particular advice, other than to say you must have been worried sick. If nowt, else, my sumpathies, must be difficult, stay strong. >:D<<'>