Sign in to follow this  
matzoball

one and other

hi there

i was recently diagnosed with asd spectrum disorder, and also was given the opportunity to appear on the 4th plinth in trafalgar square as part of the one and other project -

www.oneandother.co.uk/joolz

i am going to be doing a piece on autism, aspergers, and the fight to free Gary.

Now i had the idea of holding up facts about aspergers etc, but it seems a bit flat and i want my time to have some sort of impact. i thought about making it interactive by perhaps doing some sort of aspergers spin on a game like catchphrase or hangman?

i even thought about putting a piece of duct tape over my mouth to represent the social barriers we encounter and writing my replies and questions on a big notepad - i just can't come to a solid idea!

can you help or suggest or give me your opinions on the ideas i had already?

i like rabbits... :robbie:

Congratulations matzoball. :thumbs: Do you know when it's happening?

I don't have any bright ideas right now but I think your presentation will have to make a strong visual impact as I'm not sure how easy it is to see people on the plinth and work out exactly what they are doing. So I would suggest that if you want to put a message across - keep it simple and bold. Interactive sounds good.

I'm not sure about including the Gary Mackinnon issue - that's quite controversial and complex (as you can see if you read through the related threads on this forum alone!), not entirely an asperger/autism issue and it might lessen the impact of any other message you want to convey. That's just my opinion - I'm sure you'll get others.

K x

How about wearing a mask with a blank or neutral facial expression on it whilst using "idiot boards" to discuss the intricacies of social communication - sorry if this seems a little inane, it was just the first thing that popped into my head...

I agree with Kathryn's comments re the Gary McKinnon issue btw - stick to one core theme rather than dilute your message (particularly when the "secondary" issue might be considered controversial by some)

:thumbs: Great - try not to fall off! :lol:

Now the biggest problem I can see with all your ideas and with a vast number of people I have been to see on the plinth (I study in London so when I'm around I take a wander over there at lunchtime to see what eccentric is up to what eccentric whatnot) is being seen and heard. I hadn't appreciated just how large the statues on the other plinths are until I saw humans on the 4th. The humans are tiny!!! Unfortunately, for quite a few, I haven't had a clue what their message is or what they are doing. :oops:

The more effective are those that are related to a well known charity or organisation and have a (very large) charity banner. The most effective I have seen was for the NSPCC which as well as large banners also employed people on the ground handing out leaflets and lollies to the children (I tried to make myself little but it didn't work :lol:). If you haven't already and it's possible for you, it might be worth going to see a few in advance of yours to gauge what works and what doesn't.

Also, you could contact the NAS and let them know what you are doing. They should be able to help with a banner and possible press coverage. As far as I know, they haven't had anyone on the plinth. Another charity I am involved with (not autism) supported a member on the plinth and put out widespread messages through Facebook and Twitter to ensure maximum support.

As to ideas, it needs to be a very simple message that people can get in passing (most won't stay for the hour). How about finding out how often an individual (child or adult) is diagnosed with an ASD and having a huge banner saying "Every ... minutes someone else is diagnosed with autism. In the time I've been here, that's ... people" and ringing a bell (a loud one) every ... minutes to signal it? - And maybe finding a way to put facts and what it means into it (but keep it simple).

I'm trying to think of a way you could focus on adult dx because I think it's an area where there's still a lot of ignorance - how many people without much understanding would think someone with an ASD would be on the plinth? Do you know the vegetable, vegetable or vegetable game on the BBC Ouch Talkshow - I'm wondering if you could contact them for permission to do a version of that, although I'm not such how it would work over an hour :unsure:

Or you could just make a HUGE arrow pointing to you saying "1 in 100" and no other clues :whistle:

I agree with Kathryn's comments re the Gary McKinnon issue btw - stick to one core theme rather than dilute your message (particularly when the "secondary" issue might be considered controversial by some)

I completely agree.

Remind us nearer the time when it is and I'm sure some of here will try and come and watch :)

wow these are all great ideas! i will definitely try and incorporate them into my piece! i still feel i want to highlight Gary's cause, but i think i will limit this to wearing a free gary t-shirt with either just free gary or a picture of his face - that means the main focus will be aspergers and autism.

i called the NAS a couple weeks ago and the pr department are helping me by writing press releases which they are sending to the local media, and they have asked the daily mail to come along as well! they will be sending some staff to hand out free tshirts and answer any questions people might ask which is more than i could have ever hoped or asked for :) i've also set up a just giving page for people to donate to the NAS

www.justgiving.com/joolzoneandother

Janis and Gary may actually be coming along depending on the next court date, i speak to Janis fairly regularly on twitter and she is a formidible woman - it will be amazing if they can make it!

I'll be on the plinth on the 15th of September, at 11pm - bit late but it means it won't be as daunting as doing it during the day - i'll put up a wee reminder nearer the time

thank you so much for your ideas so far, it's given me a lot to go on - keep them coming!

i like rabbits... :robbie: