Sign in to follow this  
Lindyloo

Well, I am now officially 'One of you'

After a couple of years of loitering and occasional posting, I can now say I am officially eligible to be here.

We had the results of Luke's assessments this morning and he has been given a diagnosis of Aspergers. It was really only confirming what we already suspected, but seeing it in black and white on the bottom of a report is still a bit of a shock.

I do get the feeling though that this is just the beginning - as they say we have won the battle, now we need to win the war. I will probably be popping over to the Education forum for some guidance in tackling the LEA and school. I will have to face the SENCO who last said – "oh don’t worry about Luke. We have far worse than him here" Well at least we now have a report that confirms he is actually very good at masking when he needs to– but still has significant difficulties that need to be addressed.

Wish me luck - I have a feeling I am going to need it. :tearful:

I'm both sorry and glad for you at the same time. It is a relief and good to know what is causing your childs difficulties on the one hand, and yet is so sad to have any child diagnosed with anything.

Regarding the SEN process, get in touch with your local NAS support group and ask them when they do 'Help' Seminars (for parents of newly diagnosed children) and also day seminars about the SEN process. They are really useful because the SEN process is quite vast and it does take a while to get your head around it all. Also get a copy of the SEN Code of Practice because that explains the process and what the LEA should do.

In another forum I found that most LEAs post what their SEN criteria is on their website. But you have to go to your local council's website and in the 'search' option type in something like SEN criteria and see what it pulls up. That tells you exactly what your own LEAs criteria is. That can be very helpful to know what your LEA expects and wants.

Your local Parent Partnership may also do seminars about the SEN process.

After a couple of years of loitering and occasional posting, I can now say I am officially eligible to be here.

We had the results of Luke's assessments this morning and he has been given a diagnosis of Aspergers. It was really only confirming what we already suspected, but seeing it in black and white on the bottom of a report is still a bit of a shock.

I do get the feeling though that this is just the beginning - as they say we have won the battle, now we need to win the war. I will probably be popping over to the Education forum for some guidance in tackling the LEA and school. I will have to face the SENCO who last said – "oh don’t worry about Luke. We have far worse than him here" Well at least we now have a report that confirms he is actually very good at masking when he needs to– but still has significant difficulties that need to be addressed.

Wish me luck - I have a feeling I am going to need it. :tearful:

It is strange time, just after diagnosis. Like you, we knew exactly what the consultant was going to say, but it was still a shock. Give yourself some time to let it sink in.

As for the SEN process, it can seem a bit daunting. Take one thing at a time, and keep talking to the school, SENCO and LEA.

Take care >:D<<'>

my9 year old ASD person in mainstream school, is the worst person with autism they have ever had to deal with at school.I think he is giving them a thorough education. :lol:

Hi Lindyloo. I know what a time of mixed feelings you are having.I also was a Forum member for a couple of years before Ben was eventually diagnosed last year with AS.

I remember posting a post almost the same as yours. :D

I think we are still getting used to the idea of Ben having AS nine months on.During the summer I asked for a discount for theme park entry for the first time because of Ben having AS.It still sounded strange to me.Ben also has a freedom pass now.It does take a while which feels strange. >:D<<'>

We went on our annual church weekend away earlier this year.The son of our youth worker has ASD.At a meeting the youthworker was discussing the need for church to meet the needs of those with ASD now that we have two families with children with ASD within the congregation.....I sat for a minute or two wondering who the other family could be. :D Karen.

Thank you for your kind words, and for your advise on what to do next.

It certainly helps coming on here and knowing that there are people who understand :rolleyes:

A big step, Lindylou, and I hope it'll enable you to move things forward with the school.

You were always welcome here on the forum anyway, as is everyone, with or without an official diagnosis. :) Now, as you say, there are other battles to fight, but go easy on yourself. >:D<<'>

K x