Tally

What to do

Today I was driving when an ambulance came up behind me, clearly in a big hurry and exceeding the speed limit. I wanted to let the ambulance pass, but unfortunately it caught up with me just as the road thinned to being just wide enough for the two lanes. Even if I had pulled right over onto the pavement, it would still have had to wait until the other side of the road was clear to pass me, which would probably have delayed it even more. I carried on driving as fast as I felt was safe (just above the speed limit), but the ambulance was very close up behind me and started flashing the headlights at me. At this point, I got stressed out, worrying that I might be delaying treatment to someone who was very ill, and just didn't know what to do. I probably slowed down, as I normally do when I am stressed - I was focussing on the road rather than the speedo. Eventually I came to a bus stop, which I pulled into to let the ambulance pass, and the car behind flashed headlights to signal me out instead of having to wait for a gap. After that, the road got wider again, and the cars in front of me pulled over to the edge of the road, which left enough room for the ambulance to pass without hitting cars coming from the other way.

Does anyone know what you are actually supposed to do to let ambulances pass in this type of situation?

as far as i'm aware pull in as far as you can and slow/stop unless that would obstruct the road so the ambulance couldn't pass (not including traffic on the other side, that's their problem not yours they should be moving over too) or its obviously dangerous. i think the general rule is you get as far in as possible and let the ambulance work out where they are going. if they can't get through you'll be able to see and then you would move off asap or pull in further. they're skilled at their job so it shouldn't be an issue for them and the cars coming the other. unless its obvious the ambulance is not/cannot pass you then don't pull back out/change direction etc, even at a roundabout junction as they're likely to drive straight into you by accident. i've seen an ambulance drive into a car before because the woman decided she hadn't pulled in enough and tried to drive off instead, straight into the path of the ambulance (but then Guildford drivers are crazy)

That explains why they got annoyed, because I didn't think it would be safe to pass, but I should have let them make that decision . . . whereas I thought I was making them less annoyed by keeping going.

as far as i'm aware pull in as far as you can and slow/stop unless that would obstruct the road so the ambulance couldn't pass (not including traffic on the other side, that's their problem not yours they should be moving over too) or its obviously dangerous. i think the general rule is you get as far in as possible and let the ambulance work out where they are going. if they can't get through you'll be able to see and then you would move off asap or pull in further. they're skilled at their job so it shouldn't be an issue for them and the cars coming the other. unless its obvious the ambulance is not/cannot pass you then don't pull back out/change direction etc, even at a roundabout junction as they're likely to drive straight into you by accident. i've seen an ambulance drive into a car before because the woman decided she hadn't pulled in enough and tried to drive off instead, straight into the path of the ambulance (but then Guildford drivers are crazy)

That's what I would've said, only I don't drive ;)

I just had a google to see if there was any useful info (there wasn't) - I put in, how to let an ambulance pass, & guess what, your post was top of the google list Tally! :lol:

The Highway code (no. 219) says this:

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

(note that is my bold on the quote) taken from the Highways Code 2007 http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...ycode/DG_069858

Basically, you did the right thing, and the ambulance was in the wrong for getting frustrated with you and flashing his lights. (Although I can understand why they may have been frustrated - it doesn't make it right - it could have ended in them dealing with an entirely different incident...)

xxx

Basically, you did the right thing, and the ambulance was in the wrong for getting frustrated with you and flashing his lights. (Although I can understand why they may have been frustrated - it doesn't make it right - it could have ended in them dealing with an entirely different incident...)

Well said.

You did better than I probably would've done, Tally. :)

James

Thank you fiorelli!

Every time the road looked wide enough it was the brow of a hill or a bend, and I would still have had to pull right up over the entire pavement to let them pass anyway. Reassuring that I at least followed the rules, even if it might have been possible to let them pass somehow.