Sign in to follow this  
Special_talent123

Facebook Application Virus

hello everyone, i just leaving a off topic here because the people who using facebook and have accept fancheck photos application and have tagged u , people need to untag themselves. there has been a virus and has ruined a few of my friends computer it can hack passwords, accounts etc. so i would like to warn u that if u have that then can you remove yourself from it due to the virus.

There have been a number of internet rumors/viral emails circulating about whether fancheck is a virus, but it isn't. It is an add-on application to Facebook.

What is definiely happening is that people panicking when warned about the fancheck 'virus' and being being lured to dodgy websites that promise to 'fix the fancheck virus' , but these sites end up tricking users into downloading software that does wreck their PC.

You may wish to uninstall the application if you have it, but do not google for tools that claim to remove the virus. Running anti-virus software and keeping it up to date is the best option.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

There have been a number of internet rumors/viral emails circulating about whether fancheck is a virus, but it isn't. It is an add-on application to Facebook.

What is definiely happening is that people panicking when warned about the fancheck 'virus' and being being lured to dodgy websites that promise to 'fix the fancheck virus' , but these sites end up tricking users into downloading software that does wreck their PC.

You may wish to uninstall the application if you have it, but do not google for tools that claim to remove the virus. Running anti-virus software and keeping it up to date is the best option.

Simon

well it true my friends computer got infected from it and i thought i was getting infected on my pc from it.

Fancheck is a popular application.

If as you say it was a virus, there would be warnings issued and updates available from all major vendors of anti-virus software, and from facebook themselves.

Not a single one of the main anti-virus websites regards it worthy of a mention, there are simply a lot of 'viral' emails and forum postings doing the rounds.

If warnings are issued from reputable sites that situation may change, but in the meantime Please do not post unattributable and unsubstantiated warnings about viruses.

This may sound rude and harsh but false warnings have been circulating for years about all sorts of viruses and do far more harm than good.

Simon

What I heard is that it was only if you became a "fan" (in the Facebook sense of becoming a fan of a page) of the Fan Check application that you were at risk of getting a virus. This was because they had allegedly sent out a message to all its fans via the Facebook message interface, which contained a virus (or perhaps a link to a virus), much like viruses that are spread via attachments in regular e-mails.

I can't verify this personally, as I never became a fan of the application. :unsure:

But I have to say this sounds much more feasible than just getting a virus because of simply using an application, or even just being tagged in a photo by someone else using the application, even when you don't have anything to do with it. :blink:

James

Fancheck is a popular application.

If as you say it was a virus, there would be warnings issued and updates available from all major vendors of anti-virus software, and from facebook themselves.

Not a single one of the main anti-virus websites regards it worthy of a mention, there are simply a lot of 'viral' emails and forum postings doing the rounds.

If warnings are issued from reputable sites that situation may change, but in the meantime Please do not post unattributable and unsubstantiated warnings about viruses.

This may sound rude and harsh but false warnings have been circulating for years about all sorts of viruses and do far more harm than good.

Simon

I would never post anything if i thought it was false but it was just a warning, not arguing here and was trying to point out a few of my friends got the virus as soon as they accepted the application which mucked there whole computer up.im only telling the truth

Edited by Special_talent123