Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Texting Emergency Services

I know that there are others like me here on here who struggle with using a phone even in what could be a life or death situation.

A new service is currently being trialled that will allow anyone who might struggle with a telephone to access the 999 emergency services through the use of text message form any normal mobile phone. This was primarily designed with the deaf in mind but is available to all.

This is at the moment a trial and if successful will be launched as a proper scheme. To be successful, enough people need to sign up, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the awareness of the service. I'm hoping it will be successful, I've signed up and this really could be a life saver for me. It doesn't single me out as different (almost everyone carries a mobile), doesn't require access to special equipment and gives me peace of mind and freedom.

Here's the weblink with info and how to sign up: EmergencySMS

Oh I am so glad!! There has been situatuions before where I have been witnessing something but would have been dragged into the middle of it if I had tried to make a call and so have just hoped someone else did it, this would help to avoid things like that!

My only concern would be people abusing it, but then they can do that on a call too.

Thanks Mumble - it could be a really valuable servuce. I wonder why it hasn't been more widely advertised?

K x

My only concern would be people abusing it, but then they can do that on a call too.

They seem to have covered that in that you have to register use it (very easy and they don't ask why you need it) and so have a record of your phone's number so could tell where malicious calls had come from.

I wonder why it hasn't been more widely advertised?

Pass. :unsure: Even other health care people haven't been told, because I told my practice manager (as they'd been looking into other - costly - methods for me) and they they hadn't heard of it.

Interesting - thanks for the heads-up, Mumble. :) I've signed up. :thumbs:

In very extreme circumstances(!), I could imagine being in a hostage situation, obviously unable to make an emergency call to 999 to get the police to attend, but (as long as the hostage takers didn't take everyone's mobile phone off them first) I could discreetly text them instead. So I think this really does have a purpose beyond accessibility for the deaf, hard-of-hearing and speech-impaired.

See the final section at the bottom of this page. :)

James

That's a good service to have, I personally have no need for it but I added the website to my facebook so even more poeple cant access if required. There should really be an advert for this.

I will be signing up - thanks Mumble. This will be great for those who are speech impaired. If I may, I will forward the details to my son's school and ICAN (speech & language charity), as there are many children who would not be able to articulate the words for an emergency call but the older ones could text.

If I may, I will forward the details to my son's school and ICAN (speech & language charity), as there are many children who would not be able to articulate the words for an emergency call but the older ones could text.

Absolutely. The more people who know about this the better. It's very frustrating that it hasn't been well advertised.