Mumble

University Groups

So, I plucked up all my courage and went along to my university's new disability awareness and support group tonight.

Here's a question for you with a prize for the person giving the closest answer:

How many disabled students (including myself for clarities sake) do you think turned up?

To give some background, I attend a very large university with between 700 and 800 disabled students (as declared on UCAS forms).

Ummm - just you? :huh:

Congratulations - Kathryn wins the prize, spot on. :tearful: (that's for there only being me, not you getting it right!). You can claim your prize at the at the Christmas meet although my memories poor so I may have forgotten by then... :whistle:

So, other students who have disability (or even more specifically, Autism/other) groups at your unis, how well attended are these, do you have regular meetings, events, etc.? What representation do you have with your SU? Do you have an officer specifically in charge of disabilities?

To be honest, given my previous experience, I wasn't expecting much, but just to meet one other student in a similar position to me would have been something. :(

At least you had all the wine and cheesy wotsits to yourself.

:huh::rolleyes:

That's a bit depressing. Was it inadequately advertised, do you think?

K x

What university were you attending? i asked the disability officer to put me in touch with "autistics who wanted to meet other autistics". i met Fiona who i only knew for 2 years as she sadly died from cancer whilst at university. i was her only friend and that meant a lot to her and me.

Is there a local NAS social group you could attend? Maybe you will be able to find other students there that happen to be at your university.

Im at the university of birmigham but thats distance education only.

hope you find some autistic academics you can gell with.

Alexis

i asked the disability officer to put me in touch with "autistics who wanted to meet other autistics".

Tried that - I was told it couldn't be done because of 'ethical issues' and other students' 'sensitivities'.

I'm not planning on giving up yet. It's just going to be a bit harder than I thought, but I have cunning plans and clever tricks... :whistle: