serendippity

Can anyone help translate my son's report?

Hi.

This morning I received a copy of my little one's Ruth Griffiths developmental test results. It's all a bit confusing to me.

They have mentioned raw scores, but I've no idea what these mean. Whether they're out of 100, or 50, or whatever. His percentile is <1. I have a vague notion that this means that of a hundred children, he'd be in the bottom 1% or something like that... can anyone clarify?

It also mentions a MDT assessment. I'm guessing this is multi-disciplinary team. Does anyone know what agencies are likely to be involved? Whether it'd be the same kind of assessment as before?

If anyone can answer any of these questions I'd be really grateful :)

They have mentioned raw scores, but I've no idea what these mean. Whether they're out of 100, or 50, or whatever. His percentile is <1. I have a vague notion that this means that of a hundred children, he'd be in the bottom 1% or something like that... can anyone clarify?

Raw scores are simply the scores on each test. They are out of whatever the test is marked out of, can all be different (i.e. one out of 72, another out of 169, etc.) and are of little use.

You are right in your understanding of percentiles where the raw scores are standardised (put on the same scale). It's not quite 100 children, because it's population based, but that's a good enough way of thinking about it. However, knowing where he comes on one test isn't much help; you need to know more about the test and what is being done with the results.

ive heard of some "untestable" autistics that given the right form of testing came out with very good results.

I think the percentiles are like the charts you had in the Red book you get when the baby is born, the 50 percentile line is average in terms of height/weight/reasoning etc etc it can equate to any test.

DS and DD have had lucidity tests done at school and both were scoring on and below the 5th centile line for a couple of the processing abilities (bad mummy can't remember which ones now!) and that was considered a cause for concern because they should have been around the 50 percentile to be average.

DD is showing a lot of understanding issues and causing concern there because she doesn't understand at lot of what is going on around her but is a total cherub and goes out of her way to be my slave (to the point where I have to stop her!) those percentile results have shown that she has got an issue or two but we are not sure weather the effects of that will cause enough problems for her to be an issue at the moment.