Propinquity

Self Diagnosis, NHS testing process...

Hi everyone,

I am a bit of a newbie to this forum but everyone seems well informed and to have be friendly and helpful.

Iam a 22 yr old female and I have recently begun to read up on Aspergers and a lot of my personality traits that I previously viewed as isolated oddities are somewhat making sense! few obvious ones include my hatred of being in big social groups, even if its a bunch of well known relatives, my 'staring' habit, lack of empathy with people and complete lack of knowledge how to help anyone upset,

an example of my social difficulties could be found when anyone asks how my day went? I immediately feel confused, do they want to know everything my emotional thoughts during the day, what I did, but then which part of the day are they interested in, and I list the questions of what exactly they want to know, or are they just asking to be polite! I get a little confused and will always say fine even if its to the contrary.

These are a small list of why I believe I have Aspergers, recently I went to my local GP and with difficulty I explained all this. My mother was there as a help and to confirm that as a child I was difficult , didnt manage out of routine, always had difficulty making friends and did have obsessions etc GP gave me a referral to the Autism centre in Ruchill in Glasgow,

I am just wondering if anyone has been there for diagnosis and how the process went? I have a particular fear of being assessed and have always avoided docters,opticians and dentists for this reason. However being diagnosed as having Aspergers could help me understand why i react the way I do, so i feel its important to go forward with this. I would just like to prepare myself for the day so I manage it and know how long I might have to wait until it happens! very stressful times!

I would appreciate any constructive advice anyone can offer me!

Hi there

My son was assesed recently but not at the same place you mentioned.I was told by the GP I may have to wait up to six months,I was stressed but I have been handling him just fine for six years a few months wont hurt.In the end we only waited 2 months.The assesment was not what I expected,quite simple really.Instead of me boring the Doc with info she asked lots of questions and I answered,obviousley as my son is six she watched him play and asked him a couple of questions,it lasted an hour I hardly mentioned even half of what Sam is like,she said she wants to just speak to him at the next assesment,but she is certain it is Aspergers.The whold thing lasted an hour,no scans,no bloods nothing like that,though she did measure and weigh home and watch how he walks and runs.I know yours may be different as you are an adult,but just remain calm,take your mum with again if possible if not for anything just support.Good luck.

Thanks Justine!

reading about your experience make it sound ok, I can get a bit weird I have been known to walk out the docters because they wanted to weigh me and take my height lol but if at least I am prepared I will make sure I finish the assesment procedures,

thanks for your reply!

any experience is helpful except mabye major scare stories lol :)

sorry no advice but helloand welcome and love your quote

its so lonely when you dont even know yourself

Thanks! good to find a place where everyone is so nice. yeahh the quote just seemed to take on greater meaning recently :)