Mumble

Contact Lenses

Does anyone here know know much about contacts, particularly in relation to ASD issues (I'm not sure if I'm going to cope touching my eyes!!)

I know they can't get lost etc. but are they easy to use. I'm thinking of getting the once use/throw away type to make it easy for me.

I've always worn glasses B) and don't intend giving them up as it feels weird not having them on, but there are certain activities - in a kayak, up a mountain in the rain - where it would be would be much better if I wasn't worrying about loosing my glasses or having them covered in rain/splashes of sea-water so I can't see.

I spoke to my ophthalmologist and they've said I should be able to have them and the prices seem reasonable - I've have to have two eye exams first to check suitability.

How much face/eye touching should I expect? Do they feel 'odd'? Am I likely to find them difficult seeing as I feel and get irritated by labels, odd threads in clothes etc.? Can you swim when wearing them (either purposefully, or falling out of a kayak! :rolleyes:)?

Has anyone here with an ASD tried them and found any issues I haven't considered?

Hey, I'm currently trialling contacts! I wore hard lenses for 30 years but lost tolerance, had an abortive attempt with daily disposables a couple of years back & I'm having another go with weekly extended wear. They are lovely and comfy - but I can't see :whistle: . Haven't given up yet though as there are others I can try. Its lovely having a naked face again :thumbs:

The opto has to insert them for you initially - I was fine with that but I could see it would freak some folk out - and you have to learn to insert & remove them with them watching you. I suppose it depends on the individual whether thats a problem or not. Once you've learned 'their' way you can experiment at home & find the easiest way for you. If touching your eyes is problematic then weekly extended minimises that - you only have to do it once a week. You can get monthly extended but my opto advised against that.

Good luck.

Hi.

If you are thinking of having contact lenses then the optician would try them with you in the shop.You will imediately have a good idea regarding whether you would like them.

I had them for several years when I was younger.Unfortunately my eye care routine was so bad that my optician decided I was not responsible enough to continue with them. :oops:

Some people love contact lenses.My husband however had to have them once to treat an abrasian on his cornea and found them a nightmare.

If you have sensory issues you may find that like braces they are too annoying to be acceptable.However it is worth giving them a try I think.

Thanks both :thumbs: I think I will initially find the touching eye thing tricky, but as I have to use daily eye drops anyway, I'm already part the way there. I only want the daily disposable ones as I want them just to use when I do activities where glasses get in the way rather than as a long term replacement.

I should be picking up my new groovy glasses B) this week and as my prescription has changed loads I'll give my eyes a while to get used to being able to see again before I put them through contacts, but then I'll give it a go :)

Hi Mumble

I have worn contact lenses on and off for years. I used to wear them every day for work but this has got less as my morning routine is really short due to the fact that I want maximum time in bed!!

I now only wear them when I go swimming as I hate not seeing where I'm going but I have to wear really good quality goggles with them. Any sporting activity is so much easier with lenses but you will still worry if theres a chance you could get water or mud in your eyes.

I also wear them if I go abroad on holiday - so I can wear sun glasses and again go swimming a lot.

The daily disposable ones are the ones to go for but don't get caught up in a monthly payment thing, you just want to be able to buy 3 months supply at one time and then they will last you 6 months or a year if you're not using them every day.

Stella xx