Sign in to follow this  
Daisydot

Deep shoulder pressure

I have heard mention several times recently of using deep shoulder pressure on a child with ADHD as it helps them concentrate and calms them down. I believe this is a specific technique to do with sensory integration rather than a general shoulder rub, does anyone know where I can find out more information about this, or tell me how to do it and had anyone used this or similar techniques.?

thanks o wise ones. :notworthy:

i dont really no much about it, but right now im soooooooo tired and could do with a back rub from just about anyone. night all

I have no experience of that particular one. In my son's school the OT usually gives the teacher 'ideas' of how to achieve certain sensory input. For example one child regularly pushes or pulls a trolley of books. This is to give him the deep sensatioin that pushing etc achieves. They also push against a wall, carry a book on their heads, have a tug-of-war. There are also OT equipment that can help give more sensory input such as weighted vests or something that is like a wheat filled travel pillow that goes around the shoulders like a stole.

Children can also have frequent sensory breaks which might entail things like star jumps, spinning, or other brain gym type activities that perk them up for the next lesson.

Thanks Sally, one of my sons gets OT every week at school and sensory integration therapy, but nothing like this. I will ask his OT if she knows anything about this technique.

This is a specific pressure on the shoulders, maybe its more like an acupressure thing, but I am not sure what where when or how to do it properly, if you see what I mean. If I ever find out I will post more.

Julie - I am one for a backrub too - :wacko::wacko: - chance would be a fine thing !

Edited by Daisydot