Sign in to follow this  
Danr

pre interview declarations

Hi,

I was planning my preinterview "i'm an aspie" statement.

what do you guys think of this? :robbie:

-----------------------------------------

Hello,

Before I attend the interview, I would like to make you aware that I have Aspergers Syndrome. This may make some of my answers sound a little unexpressive, and I can sometimes find it difficult to expand on things.

However I can assure you that I feel confident in my ability to do the job. I have a talent for working with data and statistics, and am dedicated abd loyal, as my career history and references confirm.

---

For more information, please refer to:

http://www.asperger.org.uk/asperger-syndro...er-syndrome.asp

Which gives a well balanced view of the symptoms.

Also: http://www.aspergertechnical.org.uk/index....=strengths.html

Shows that the effects aren’t all negative.

---

Thank you

Hi Dan,

Keeping things like this short is always a good idea, since people will not read a long document anyway, but I do think it would be a good idea to say a little more about how this may impair your interview technique.

Instead of saying it may make you sound unexpressive, it might be better to say that you use a flat tone of voice and don't tend to display much facial expression or body language, and this sometimes gives the impression that you are less interested than you really are. This gives the interviewer an idea of some specific things to be aware of, whilst also making a positive comment about how interested you are.

I like the links you have included - however, it might be worth printing off that first one and including it as a second sheet with your letter. They can choose whether to read it or ignore it, but that way you have done all the work for them and provided all the information.

It might also be worth mentioning whether you have needed any adjustments in previous jobs and what they were - this could show that your needs can easily be met, or possibly even that they wouldn't even need to make any special adjustments at all.

Hi Dan,

I also am preparing an application and wondering what to say re: any adjustments, albeit minimal. I have had feedback saying I did not seem interested in the job, or my previous work (while explaining it) so definitely sounds like if you mention that, they should just realize its bc of AS and I know on the NAS you can order a credit-card sized card that hightlights the main points of AS. Worth a shot, and good luck to you on your job pursuit!

(I am new here and recently thought AS sounds like so much of my issues, however not officially dx'ed.)

ok take care

Vanna :)

I've often wondered about this, I've been honest at application stage about having AS, while at the same time emphasising what skills and experience I do have. I've also tied admitting my AS with explaining my eligiblility for the Jobcentre's "Work Trial" scheme, where I can work for them free while still having Jobseeker status, which would give me a better chance of demonstrating my capability of work, than an interview does where the first thing they see is my nervous body language and verbal communication and they expect me to "sell myself", yet in 6 months since I first saw the adviser who let me know about work trials, I have yet to be offered one.

Welcome aboard to Vanna, how did the application go?

Good luck all,

Alan