Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Talent Show in School

My son's school is running their version of the 'X' factor. I'm not a fan of the programme.

And I had/have serious concerns about this. Especially when so many children in the school are on the spectrum. This information was given to me via his home/school book the day before auditions!

I said I was not happy with the idea of it and that my son could go either way. He might get very upset at not getting through, or if he does get through he might be terrified of having to perform infront of the school.

Also, what is he going to do as his 'talent'!!!

So I talked with my son about it. Firstly he wanted to play the harmonica. He only has a small plastic one given to him in school. He cannot play it in any way, shape or form. So I explained that that was not a good idea.

So he told me he was going to do some magic instead. I don't know of any 'magic' tricks he knows. He would not show me what he was going to do.

Anyway, he has apparently performed two tricks infront of his class and was brilliant. He is now through to the school final and has to perform on stage infront of the whole school. I have no idea how it will go. He tells me he saw the tricks on TV!

So i'm feeling a mixture of being proud that he did so well. But worried he might collapse infront of the school. Whilst also being amazed that our children can so often 'absorb' things and have skills that we never even know they have.

My son's school is running their version of the 'X' factor. I'm not a fan of the programme.

And I had/have serious concerns about this. Especially when so many children in the school are on the spectrum. This information was given to me via his home/school book the day before auditions!

I said I was not happy with the idea of it and that my son could go either way. He might get very upset at not getting through, or if he does get through he might be terrified of having to perform infront of the school.

Also, what is he going to do as his 'talent'!!!

So I talked with my son about it. Firstly he wanted to play the harmonica. He only has a small plastic one given to him in school. He cannot play it in any way, shape or form. So I explained that that was not a good idea.

So he told me he was going to do some magic instead. I don't know of any 'magic' tricks he knows. He would not show me what he was going to do.

Anyway, he has apparently performed two tricks infront of his class and was brilliant. He is now through to the school final and has to perform on stage infront of the whole school. I have no idea how it will go. He tells me he saw the tricks on TV!

So i'm feeling a mixture of being proud that he did so well. But worried he might collapse infront of the school. Whilst also being amazed that our children can so often 'absorb' things and have skills that we never even know they have.

Well done to him :D I know you are worried but I am sure he will be fine and you will be there for him regardless,I am sure he will surprise you one way or another as he has done so already.I know what you mean about the 'absorbing' thing I used to call Sam a sponge when he was little,he would see/hear something once and it would stick in his mind and then he would come out with things at the right moment always made me laugh.

on a stage performing my P is brilliant,. Singing Kettle a couple of years ago he volunteered to go up and be part of the show,he put on a horse suit, and skipped around the stage with others and lined up to say his name. In fact he gets upset now for not getting picked at school or whatever and gets angry,you the know the score. i think on stage he loves the attention.

Edited by sesley