tomisms

Compulsions in ASD

Hiya,

I've bitten the bullet and decided to ask a question (I have many more - be warned!!)

My son (almost 6) who is being assessed for AS/HFA has had many compulsive type behaviours over time. His latest one is that he runs out into the road, not right to the middle, but to the side where cars would park, and then he quickly runs back on to the pavement. He manages to slip my hand, or if I'm holding his hand tightly (which I try to do most of the time, although difficult when holding another child's hand and shopping bags etc) he'll try to pull me in the direction of the road too. I've asked him why he does this, explained the dangers over and over to him etc, but he just says that he can't help it. He says "I can't help it" about all his other compulsions too, such as licking everything, touching/tapping things, shouting random things over and over....

Now the licking I can see is a sensory thing, the tapping possibly a stim? But the running out into the road, I just cannot put down to anything other than an overwhelming compulsion to do something. I don't see that it is sensory, or a stim as I can't believe he derives any comfort from this.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone here could shed some light on this for me please, and maybe some sort of solution as to how to deal with this, as I'm worried that one day he'll end up getting knocked down by a car.

Thanks

sounds like OCD type beahviours i get complused to the same thing run the road but mines more linked to depression but could be both is your son depressed? i go to the doc and ask for there advice or suggestions on treatment of this?

XKLX

sounds like OCD type beahviours i get complused to the same thing run the road but mines more linked to depression but could be both is your son depressed? i go to the doc and ask for there advice or suggestions on treatment of this?

XKLX

[/quote

Thanks smiley :)

I don't know if he's depressed or not really, he's only 5, but I do know he gets very frustrated at times by things, such as someone not answering him in the "correct" way, or things not being as they should.

I suppose I was really asking if this sort of compulsive behaviour is actually related to ASD or not. Lots of his behaviours are ASD related, but I also worry a lot that he displays OCD behaviour and also tourettes behaviour.

It's certainly something I shall be bringing up at his next appointment, though when that will actually be is anyone's guess.

As you say, bring it up at your next appointment.

Sensory issues can be helped with work by an OT. A sensory diet, the right kind of school environment etc can help reduce the amount of sensory information.

OCD and Tourettes can be present, either to the extent of a full dx, or with 'traits'.

But I would have also thought that over all these things is 'stress and anxiety', and so along with working with professionals to establish the cause of certain behaviours, it would also be worthwhile mentioning as well about ways to reduce stress, anxiety. That may mean teaching specific relaxation techniques, or it might be actually meeting one of his main difficulties that could be causing alot of anxiety, frustration or stress.