Sign in to follow this  
AndreaA

Statement of Special Educational Needs

Help! We received a diagnosis 3 months ago for ASD and finally have seen the Educ. Psych. today. She said she feels S needs one to one help especially when he starts Primary. She has suggested that I write to the Council to request a statement and I should do this asap. I have the support of the nursery staff as well as his therapist. I am at a loss as to what to put in the letter to the Council. I am usually quite articulate but when it comes to talking about my son I find it hard to talk negatively. Any suggestions as to how this should be done would be gratefully received please.

Many thanks.

Andrea.

Hi Andrea,

Here's a useful guide to asking he county for a Statutory Assessment which is the first step to getting a statement. Page 6 has a model letter you can adapt, and page 8 has a checklist of points to help you write about your child's difficulties in detail. You can send in a parent's report with the request letter, or you can send it later.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/Resources/ACE/adv...ent-Sep09LR.pdf

Hope this helps. Plenty of parents have been through this process too so ask any questions you want to. :)

K x

When you are writing you need to bear in mind how your child is on their worst day, because that is the level of support they need. You get an opportunity to write about strengths when they send out the long form for parental views.

It is unfortunately that you have to look at the difficulties and negative things about your child. But those are the things they are supported for. If you fill in the form about his strengths and positive things, and don't mention the other stuff, the LEA may refuse to even assess towards a Statement. You have the backing of the nursery, so that is something positive.