Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

school play

Hi I have to post to say ds not only managed to stay in the hall(that was the goal set) he joined in and sang his heart out in the christmas play!

A year ago he was bitting himself,head banging and making very sad noises......

Since he started at his new school in Feb things have gone from good to great!

It just goes to show it can be done when the school include special needs.

I have never felt so proud it makes the drive to school so worth it!

I wanted to share this as we have had a long road of things being very hard and for a change things are fantastic!!!

Just wish ds could sleep more than 4 hours in a night but guess i cant have it all!

:thumbs::thumbs: for you,it can be done with a little work.my p got excluded from the school play,my feeling is because they couldn't be bothered and they thought he might be disruptive, yes he is unpredictable and is high functioning,but lately he has been a lot clamer,maybe its being 10, he does loose control,but he has got easier to talk to, with good patent support and some good preparation so he understands what he ahs to do and where and when,he is fine and enjoys himself,particulary if its on a stage doing something.They just couldn't be bothered. I should have challenged them more of their decission,but i felt cowardly and just kept him home yesturaday afternoon just to protect him from any distress at not being included,because he is becoming aware of things ,he asks questions about life and he looks forward to things,soon we will have to expalin about his autism to him.I will bring up my dissaapointement at this at the enxt IEP meeting. Edited by sesley

:thumbs::thumbs: for you,it can be done with a little work.my p got excluded from the school play,my feeling is because they couldn't be bothered and they thought he might be disruptive, yes he is unpredictable and is high functioning,but lately he has been a lot clamer,maybe its being 10, he does loose control,but he has got easier to talk to, with good patent support and some good preparation so he understands what he ahs to do and where and when,he is fine and enjoys himself,particulary if its on a stage doing something.They just couldn't be bothered. I should have challenged them more of their decission,but i felt cowardly and just kept him home yesturaday afternoon just to protect him from any distress at not being included,because he is becoming aware of things ,he asks questions about life and he looks forward to things,soon we will have to expalin about his autism to him.I will bring up my dissaapointement at this at the enxt IEP meeting.

Hi, I am so sorry your child was not included in the school play! My ds is high functioning and very unpredictable too and at his last school they simply ignored his statement and his needs, I understand why you did not challenge them more, it is very hard. I am still cross with myself a year on for not being more assertive when I was so deeply unhappy with how he was being treated at school.

My ds is the same as yours in as much as with the right preperation and comunication he understands what he has to do.

His new school move heavan and earth to make sure he understands what is happening they even made him his own "Christmas countdown" to have at home like an advent calender he opened the doors to see what was happening each day at school and a blank window ment a normal school day! I feel very very lucky to have found a school that seem to pride themselves on his achievments, today he stayed for the school christmas dinner, he took his packed lunch so he felt no pressure, he took his own knife and fork incase he needed it and he ate dry turkey and sausage. They were delighted he did it and put photos in his diary even making comment on the fact he used school cutlery! I think it is terrible that some schools have no idea about asd and our children are excluded from things that with the right care and support can cope with! I have had a very tough evening with ds due to his huge achievments at school but that is the down side of the good stuff I guess.

Please if you can make sure the school understand how it made you and your child feel that they were not included in the school play. I think our lives as parents of asd children are so often very very tough and very hard for our children themselves these teachers need to understand! My ds is just six and knows he is differnt and hates it! The other children at his school have been given a very simple explenation about his autism and it has worked wonders the older children look after him and noone bates an eyelid when he struggles the other parents have asked me loads of questions and celerbrate his achievements.

Good luck and I wish you a good christmas

Hi, I am so sorry your child was not included in the school play! My ds is high functioning and very unpredictable too and at his last school they simply ignored his statement and his needs, I understand why you did not challenge them more, it is very hard. I am still cross with myself a year on for not being more assertive when I was so deeply unhappy with how he was being treated at school.

My ds is the same as yours in as much as with the right preperation and comunication he understands what he has to do.

His new school move heavan and earth to make sure he understands what is happening they even made him his own "Christmas countdown" to have at home like an advent calender he opened the doors to see what was happening each day at school and a blank window ment a normal school day! I feel very very lucky to have found a school that seem to pride themselves on his achievments, today he stayed for the school christmas dinner, he took his packed lunch so he felt no pressure, he took his own knife and fork incase he needed it and he ate dry turkey and sausage. They were delighted he did it and put photos in his diary even making comment on the fact he used school cutlery! I think it is terrible that some schools have no idea about asd and our children are excluded from things that with the right care and support can cope with! I have had a very tough evening with ds due to his huge achievments at school but that is the down side of the good stuff I guess.

Please if you can make sure the school understand how it made you and your child feel that they were not included in the school play. I think our lives as parents of asd children are so often very very tough and very hard for our children themselves these teachers need to understand! My ds is just six and knows he is differnt and hates it! The other children at his school have been given a very simple explenation about his autism and it has worked wonders the older children look after him and noone bates an eyelid when he struggles the other parents have asked me loads of questions and celerbrate his achievements.

Good luck and I wish you a good christmas

:thumbs: Thanks, it was a shock, after i bought tickets and got them and was invited in by his one to one to explain he was not in the concert, i had to give back the tickets and he saw me,so i told him. i took them back,because we could not go at that time and he didn't give a fuss,but i do wonder what was going on in his head,because he did show some interest in the concert.

They told him yesturday that he can watch the rehersals but he as not involved on the stage and you do wonder how he is feeling. I will definately bring it up at the next IEP meeting. I expressed my dissappointment with his O/T person and hse agreed with proper preparation he could have been included. I really must learn to be more assertive. :whistle: