NobbyNobbs

a stunning display of cool

yesterday i fell off the bus. it was coming up to my stop and the driver had been opening the doors while the bus was moving for the whole journey. but somehow i got confused and tried to step off the bus as soon as the doors open and fell out the door while the bus was still moving quite fast. usually the doors dont open until the bus has stopped, but i knew the driver had been opening the door early, and had actively thought 'i need to remember to wait until the bus has stopped before i step off'. the driver rammed on the breaks which i think made things worse as i was then sprawled on the floor with an entire bus of people staring at me. fortunately i only got scraped a bit as i landed on a big muddy verge before the tarmac patch of the stop.

does anyone else have these moments of complete stupidity? i fall a lot due to nerve damage in my foot, but i dont think i can really blame this on that as it wasn't my foot making the decision on moving! is it an awkward aspergers thing or just one of those nutty things that happens. its really knocked my confidence on using the bus as today i had to use the bus again with my support worker and she had to grab me to stop me doing it again! i seem to have lost the ability to judge when its safe to move.

i'm currently filling in my DLA change of circumstance form and wondered if this is something i should put down or if its irrelevant. obviously its a pretty dangerous development, i was really lucky i landed on the mud and wasn't hurt, but is it worth noting? i have to use the bus a lot as i dont drive, but i'm anxious just thinking about it now.

:oops::lol: (sorry, not laughing at you exactly, just the image of random person being ejected from the bus and also hoping Transport for London aren't reading this and quickly coming up with ways to reduce over-crowding on their buses :o)

does anyone else have these moments of complete stupidity?

Moments? :huh: Nope, most of the times... I fell up the stairs twice at the cinema on Monday (on the same short flight) - I have huge problems when I can't see (it was quite dark) where each part of my body is in knowing where it is, if that makes any sense. :unsure::rolleyes: As for making decisions/telling myself not to fall over, I think I can over think if that makes sense so I'm more prone because I'm then taking less notice of my environment and changes in it.

I don't know about whether it goes on the DLA form or not - mine's in it's envelope to go to the post office tomorrow and I don't want to think about it again for a very long time :tearful: - I think this is more about a slightly silly bus driver and I'd be more inclined to either write to the bus company if I felt it as a repeated problem or just make sure I was standing/sitting away from the doors if an irregular problem.

yesterday i fell off the bus. it was coming up to my stop and the driver had been opening the doors while the bus was moving for the whole journey. but somehow i got confused and tried to step off the bus as soon as the doors open and fell out the door while the bus was still moving quite fast. usually the doors dont open until the bus has stopped, but i knew the driver had been opening the door early, and had actively thought 'i need to remember to wait until the bus has stopped before i step off'. the driver rammed on the breaks which i think made things worse as i was then sprawled on the floor with an entire bus of people staring at me. fortunately i only got scraped a bit as i landed on a big muddy verge before the tarmac patch of the stop.

You can complain about the driver for that as they arent permitted to open the doors until the bus has stopped.

does anyone else have these moments of complete stupidity? i fall a lot due to nerve damage in my foot, but i dont think i can really blame this on that as it wasn't my foot making the decision on moving! is it an awkward aspergers thing or just one of those nutty things that happens. its really knocked my confidence on using the bus as today i had to use the bus again with my support worker and she had to grab me to stop me doing it again! i seem to have lost the ability to judge when its safe to move.

Making judgements about social and physical things is an autistic thing but not a stupid thing. It is to do with our poor understanding of common sense.

i'm currently filling in my DLA change of circumstance form and wondered if this is something i should put down or if its irrelevant. obviously its a pretty dangerous development, i was really lucky i landed on the mud and wasn't hurt, but is it worth noting? i have to use the bus a lot as i dont drive, but i'm anxious just thinking about it now.

Yes definitely as it can help you to convince them you need constant supervision which could get you the middle or even higher rates. As it happens whether someone is there or not that's also relevant. "without someone to stop me getting off a moving bus too early i would fall into the road".

Alexis

:oops::lol: (sorry, not laughing at you exactly, just the image of random person being ejected from the bus and also hoping Transport for London aren't reading this and quickly coming up with ways to reduce over-crowding on their buses :o)

Moments? :huh: Nope, most of the times... I fell up the stairs twice at the cinema on Monday (on the same short flight) - I have huge problems when I can't see (it was quite dark) where each part of my body is in knowing where it is, if that makes any sense. :unsure::rolleyes: As for making decisions/telling myself not to fall over, I think I can over think if that makes sense so I'm more prone because I'm then taking less notice of my environment and changes in it.

That is called poor proprioceptive input so you cant tell where your body is in space. Your brain literally forgets you are using stairs. i fall more often if someone is talking to me about something important. Trampolining, omega oils and weighted blankets have helped me. Do you need a heavy weight over you in order to sleep?

I don't know about whether it goes on the DLA form or not - mine's in it's envelope to go to the post office tomorrow and I don't want to think about it again for a very long time :tearful: - I think this is more about a slightly silly bus driver and I'd be more inclined to either write to the bus company if I felt it as a repeated problem or just make sure I was standing/sitting away from the doors if an irregular problem.

You can write it down as a potential danger, i think it goes under the "tripping falling" section. Walking into things frequently would also be included. No matter how small an event can be it should be written down. "Reactions to unexpected events can cause you to inadvertently put yourself in danger" as the bus incident indicates. Were you standing behind the notice? The one that warns you where you should stand and not to speak to the bus driver without good reason?

Alexis

I once saw a woman & her toddler desperately trying to go up the down escalator - because the engineers had reversed them. Her body memory told her that the one on the left was the up escalator & her mind couldn't make sense of what was happening. It was also very funny :D

I'm not AS but I could just have easily have done something like you did myself (and probably have :whistle: ), I think its to do with thinking fast enough when you are expecting one thing to happen but then another does.

Yes definitely as it can help you to convince them you need constant supervision which could get you the middle or even higher rates. As it happens whether someone is there or not that's also relevant. "without someone to stop me getting off a moving bus too early i would fall into the road".

Actually, you could make this an even stronger statement by saying that this has actually happened - rather than would happen.

I don't know whether this might be AS-related or not, but considering there have been two incidents now, it does sound like it's disability-related and worth noting on your DLA application.

Actually, you could make this an even stronger statement by saying that this has actually happened - rather than would happen.

I don't know whether this might be AS-related or not, but considering there have been two incidents now, it does sound like it's disability-related and worth noting on your DLA application.

Being unaware of danger that neurotypicals are (and being able to prevent or minimise that danger) can come in the DLA application.

Alexis