Sign in to follow this  
mygifts1306

play-doh

Hi, its the big freeze! and we cant go trampoling in the back garden. My son nearly 7 ( as) enjoyes playing with playdoh, its funny it was his brothers's christmas gift from his nana, and they just stay for hours playing with it, its called playdoh octopus and it is keeping them amused.

When its so cold like this its so easy to just let them watch telly or sit on the xbox. Also the Wii winter sports games are good, ds nearly 7 really likes sword fightin, i know its sound violent but all it is is vegetables gets thrown at him and he cuts them. He also likes the bowling but gets cross if he does not get a strike.

Another use for play-doh ...

A stress release to help kids with more destructive or obvious 'stims'

In infants my son had real difficulty sitting for circle time or assembly etc, and while that was partly because of discomfort from his poor muscle tone (dyspraxia) it was also ADHD and stress related. Two little blobs of playdoh helped him enormously, because he could just work them in his hand rather than having to resort to the bigger stims for relief. As with all 'stims' though you have to watch and make sure the trade off stays a beneficial one - playdoh did become a little bit too ditracting further down the line! :lol:

:D

My son Glen used to eat Playdoh so I had to stop him using it. Glen has always loved playdoh and I really hated taking it away when he was younger but had no choice. However now Glen is older (15) he doesn't eat it anymore and loves playing with it, he gets very anxious and I to think playdoh really helps with anxiety in our kids.

N ( AS,age 11) loves (and has since she was little) play doh. Over the years we have amassed a variety of sets - her fav is one from ELC where she can make all sorts of bugs. She makes play doh bodies and can attach eyes, wings, legs etc. Her younger sister (NT age 8) and brother (NT but query AS, age 4) also love the stuff so when we have it out they all sit around the kitchen table making their creation in relative peace.

K also eats it, but we haven't taken it away so far (not sure if we should, no idea how toxic play-doh is!). she has poor motor control and it was recommended by the child development team to help her with her fine motor in her hands but mostly she rolls it into snakes then licks it :sick: