av16

Successes

My son loves football and plays for his school team and a club. It's not been easy, we have to keep reassuring him at times when his confidence is low but he is so keen he's not given up even when he's been on the bench for several games. So far so NT but he decided he need to have a suitable way of celebrating any goals he might score. He decided that a somersault was the best thing so with advice from youtube clips he has taught himself to do a somersault. His ability to persevere and keep going over and over again is amazing. :notworthy:

Just a little thing but the little things make us smile and keep us going :thumbs:

AV

ps he played yesterday and today but didn't score

pps hope Baddad doesn't go altogether - he sometimes gives a different view which makes you(me ) think

Great that he perseveres even when he has to sit on the bench, and gets to enjoy himself. I bet your washing machine loves it when he does somersaults in the mud :lol:

pps hope Baddad doesn't go altogether - he sometimes gives a different view which makes you(me ) think

:offtopic: and the point of that comment in this thread other than to create friction is...? :unsure:

I don't know how to respond to that as that was the last thing on my mind. Enough said. Apologies if you thought otherwise.

Aye Caramba! Where did the idea arise that I'm going anywhere? :lol:

AV-16 - thankyou for being open minded. :thumbs:

Mumble - thank you for your concern about another thread going west, even if in this case unnecessary :thumbs:

Positives of autism?

My son is one of the most genuinely considerate 12 year olds I know... sometimes he doesn't get that he needs to be considerate, but when he does, he is. I don't know for sure whether that's down to his autism or not, but suspect that it has something to do with his 'black and white thinking' coupled with the conceptual understanding of a personal moral code.

Oh - and he can fart in several keys too!

Heehee, nicely put, Badders!!

Hmm....my son can be very insightful and we have the most insane conversations because he talks about topics most 12 year olds haven't even begun to touch on yet!

Nice to hear about your son's achievements, AV16, he sounds like a wee star!

He decided that a somersault was the best thing so with advice from youtube clips he has taught himself to do a somersault.

Hi av16

Wish I could do that!

As the mum of 2 teenagers, I would say a major positive benefit is that I have a 16-year-old lad who doesn't go to the local park at night and sit drinking himself into a stupour (or doing anything else). His friend has a job in a local shop and we'd been saying to Mj he should get a job like C. However C told me he drank a whole bottle of Malibu on Christmas Day, so I'm really glad my son isn't like him, even if we're 'stuck' with him at home all the time (when not at college) and no chance of him wanting a job.

Also we still get 'toddler' like joy at Christmas and having to put mince pies out for Santa etc. My 16-year-old will still hug me sometimes (even in public!).

My younger, 13-year-old, is a deep thinker who is learning all sorts of off curriculum stuff about physics, earth and space. We have fascinating conversations and he teaches us loads of stuff, and has reawakened my thirst for learning.