Sign in to follow this  
jimssmom

Newbie central!

Hi there.

I'm a devoted mother to an 18 month old daughter and a 3 year old son. The latter being my main concern.

My son is currently attending mainstream nursery part time. Although we have always wanted a dx for him, we have been turned down on MANY occasions.

It was only until recently, with a visit to the paediatrican that got the ball rolling and paperwork started.

We have suspected our son from the age of 2, where speech therapy was instantly put into place with a recommendation from my son's then private nursery. We thought the attendance of a private nursery may bring him out of his shell, and bought alot of things to light too.

In a nutshell. my sons educational psychologist is now "recommending" another school. This school is not a special school in anyway, but assures me they have a "focus provision" for special needs children.

we are surprised at this sudden change of heart, as my son has made enourmous progress but they assure me it's because they don't think he will cope with the "formal issues" that moving to Reception will hold.

After this meeting of doom, myself and my husband got the impression they are trying to get rid of my son, and not really thinking about him but the money.

It's true this potential new school has more funding, as it has recently been joined to a junior school. But i was foolishly hoping that they were thinking of my son rather the money.

Perhaps if the school was a special school, or the like, i wouldn't be so suspicious. It seems like a step sideways as to get "rid of the problem!

Does anyone else have experience/felt like this with their child?

I'm sure you've heard all this before and i apologise.

Thanks for reading

Jimssmom

Hi and welcome!

Sorry to tell you, but it is all about money. Local authorities do get better value for money by having children with similar needs in the same setting. That doesn't mean that the provision they are suggesting won't be appropriate - you need to go and have a look, and if it's anything like the provision where I am you will be very pleased with what you see.

Do ask questions about Speech & Language provision and have a read around the statementing process. If you get provision quantified and specified now you can save yourself a lot of heartache in the longer term.

Fingers crossed that you like what you see!

Thanks for the reply - I suppose i should know better as my sis in law is a teacher, but when they talk to you in these many many meetings its like they are trying to get rid of you, and not even trying to hide the fact!

I'm going to view this potential school on Tuesday morning, and the person in charge of it all was really nice on the phone, and actually knew what i was talking about!!

Which i consider a good sign!

I've been busy with preparing questions to ask this new school, and have asked sis in law for questions too.

Fingers crossed that it is what i hope/think it is. in my opinion if they don't want my son, then they won't put the effort in.

Thanks again for the reply xx