Sign in to follow this  
matzoball

sensory overload

i work in a busy office - and am finding it increasingly hard to cope with the amount of noise. there is the normal office hubub, and a few individuals who sit near me who make noises such as tapping and low humming which at first irritate me but then it becomes almost unbearable to the point i want to tear my hair out.

i try to focus on different things - such as playing my ipod on speakers but now i can't even have that on because it is also starting to overwhelm me.

my manager is aware i can have 'sensitive days' but he's not very sympathetic -

does anyone have any tips on how to block out the noise?

Or earplugs. I have these and noise-cancelling headphones and depending on how I'm feeling / what else I'm doing I'll use either. If I'm having a particularly bad day or there's lots of noise I use both earplugs and ear defenders together.

The best thing is probably noise cancelling headphones.

What a good idea. I never knew they existed. Do they really work??

I have never tried them myself, but I've heard good reports about them. Another alternative is ear defenders, the type pneumatic drill operators use.

What a good idea. I never knew they existed. Do they really work??

It depends how much money you have to spend. There is a particular make beginning with B and ending with ose (:whistle:) who are supposed to be pretty good but they cost a lot. I haven't tried them myself.

I have a pair by another very good manufacturer that were bought through my Disabled Student's Allowance. They're not perfect by any means (and were still quite pricey) but they do make quite a difference. They certainly cancel out enough background so I don't have to have my music loud to try to block anything out. I certainly notice the difference when I take them off (or if I accidentally turn off the noise cancelling before removing them - ouch!).

There have been threads on this forum about them before if you do a search.

It depends how much money you have to spend. There is a particular make beginning with B and ending with ose (:whistle:) who are supposed to be pretty good but they cost a lot. I haven't tried them myself.

I have a pair by another very good manufacturer that were bought through my Disabled Student's Allowance. They're not perfect by any means (and were still quite pricey) but they do make quite a difference. They certainly cancel out enough background so I don't have to have my music loud to try to block anything out. I certainly notice the difference when I take them off (or if I accidentally turn off the noise cancelling before removing them - ouch!).

There have been threads on this forum about them before if you do a search.

how did you go about getting your dsa?