Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Annual Review

I have submitted my parental comments.

Still not received the reports of anyone else yet and less than 10 days to go!

Can I take and submit further information on the day if relevant to anything the reports mention?

At DS2's mainstream school we often didn't get reports, particularly from the SALT, until the meeting itself, despite the fact everyone is supposed to be able to see them 2-3 weeks beforehand... And one year the school had forgotten to invite the OT and contacted her at the last minute, of course she couldn't come but could email a brief 'report' to be read at the meeting.

So based on my experience, I would say that yes you can submit information on the day, although it's probably preferrable to try to let people read it beforehand because it's hard to read and talk at a meeting and time is often very short.

Also, my understanding is that the school is responsible for bringing all the reports and issues discussed at the REview meeting together and presenting a REview report, which should be made available some time after the meeting takes place and which is submitted to the LA. Again, my experience was that the head produced her report before the meeting and just filled in the new targets at the end of the meeting, so her finalised report never actually included all that was mentioned by the other professionals (or me!) during the meeting... that might have been just down to her inexperience... But your signature is required, so if there is anything you disagree with you can take that up

One thing I found very helpful previously, is to take someone with you to take notes and minute the meeting. Some people ask PArent Partnership to do this for them, but they weren't much help to me so I took a friend, purely to take notes and not take part, so that we could concentrate on what was being said and respond. It might help to mention to the school before the meeting that you intend to do this. I have to say, the person who did this for us did a fantastic job and it was really helpful... :notworthy:>:D<<'>

I have DS1's Review in four weeks, this one at mainstream secondary, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes - have already been told an hour is scheduled for the meeting - half an hour to discuss how he's been getting on and half an hour to set targets for the next year. I have such a lot to say and ask that I don't think half an hour will be nearly long enough! If we find it isn't, I will ask to carry on discussing the issues and reschedule a meeting to go over targets - I will not be curbed!!!

I also have DS2's REview in July, at his new autism-specific school, so that will be interesting again...

Lizzie x

Hi.

At most of the AR we have had almost all of the professionals have just submitted information on the day.In one case we obtained an AS diagnosis on the day before the AR so there was no time to document it. This did work in our favour.The OT had stated that she supported children with dyspraxia.She had said that if Ben recived an AS diagnosis she would discharge him.As we found out so late the OT did not have time to respond and we were prepared. :whistle::whistle::whistle::angry:

Karen.

Hi, just read your post, and wanted to ask about the part where it says parents signiature is required. We have had 2 annual reviews now, and never been asked to sign anything before or after the meeting. The only thing we signed was the reply slip saying we were coming to the review. Does anyone know who you complain to if you are not happy with the review summary report the school sends out after. Half the things discussed at the review were either not mentioned, or glossed over.

The best way is to get your 'parental views' in print. Type a letter/report, which you submit prior to the annual review.

Once the AR is finished the teacher will draft a report and send it to the LEA. You should receive a copy of that, and you have an opportunity then to send in a further letter to the LEA about anything omitted or which you feel is not correct.

You can also submit any reports you have. I am submitting practically all of mine (which are just over a year old). If any reports contain information relevant to your sons current SEN then submit it. Remember the LEA representative is only going to see the old Statement and any new documentation you submit. So make sure everything relevant is submitted at annual review.

Then the LEA will decide either to amend or do nothing.

If the LEA amends the Statement at all you can appeal against any aspect of that Statement. So if they amend by reducing provision, you can appeal to SEND about that and also include anything you want adding to section 2 and section 3 and even request a different placement in section 4.

If no amendment to the Statement is made, then the only action you can take is to ask for a re-assessment, which means going through the process again ie. 26 weeks from start to finish. If the LEA refuse to re-assess you can appeal against that as well.