Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Sedation for travelling long haul?

Has anyone been prescribed proper sedation (ie not phenergan antihistamines because they make him hyper) for travelling with their asd child?

We flew to visit my husbands parents in the States in November last year. It's an 11 hour flight from London. It's probably one of the most difficult things I've had to endure with him ever. The airports were a nightmare because of the waiting and queuing and on the flight, he was good for about 4 hours and then my husband and I spent the next 6 hours physically restraining him :( I was bruised and scratched till I was bleeding by the end of it. Although he will hit out at me when stressed it's not normally to the extent it was on the flight. He also threw up because he had got himself into such a state. It also meant my daughter had to pretty much fend for herself most of the flight.

I thought we were going to have a repeat performance after a good 3-4 hours on the way home but thankfully it was overnight and we changed him into his pyjamas so after 2 hours of struggling he fell asleep.

My husbands brother is getting married this november and they really want us to come. Initially I thought we might go for a week and leave Logan at home but a) my parents are not in the best of health so am not sure how they would cope for a full week and b ) I'm not comfortable with going that far away for that long without him. So my husband thinks we should just go for the two weeks and bring him with us.

I don't know if I can cope with the same struggles on a flight again so I was going to contact his paediatrician and ask about sedation. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Lynne x

Edited by Lynden

We travelled to Australia adn gave our son melatonin an hour before getting on the plane. It worked well. Plus long haul flights have good entertainment. The best think I ever brought my son was a DS. He uses it constantly in the airport and on the plane.

Thanks Lynne. Melantonin has no effect on Logan unfortunately. We tried it for his sleep issues a few times. Logan is fairly severely autistic and has learning delays so he's nowhere near using a DS yet. We brought everything we thought might entertain him last trip but because he was in a new and stressful situation he wasn't interested in any of his books/DVDs etc and had no interest in watching any of the movies/shows shown on the plane.

He generally wont eat or drink in that kind of situation either - we get the sleeper train to scotland a few times a year which he loves (once we are on the train, the platform is horrendous), but he will not eat or drink for the duration of the journey.

This is mostly why I want to find out about proper sedation.

Lynne x

How do you transport him in your car? Does he still have an infant car seat with a five-point harness to hold him? There exist some for up to 50 kg (110 lb) - for disabled children, so you have to look for them. Maybe you could install one of those in the airplane - if he travels ok in it when it's in your car.

Hi there, yes, he does still have the 5 point harness but it's very bulky. Also I'd feel really mean were he restrained in it for 10 hours. It also doesn't get round the issue of him kicking the seats in front either which we had a really hard time in stopping him from doing.

Lynne x

Can you ask for seats at the front? If you explain why this is necessary, they should be pleased to accommodate that!

I was thinking about that earlier Tally, that I might call well in advance and explain that we need seats with no one in front, at least then if he does kick off we don't have to worry about the people in front. The woman in front was a real (insert swear word of your choice here) in November. He was so good for about four hours and then he managed to kick her seat twice and she turned round and started tutting and sighing at us. Baring in mind he's only 6 it's not that abnormal to lose patience (although it isn't entirely normal to then tantrum for the next 6 hours lol). Plus they all three reclined their seats the whole journey which gave us even less room to try to deal with him.

Lynne x