Sign in to follow this  
Tally

My guts are on fire

I don't know what's wrong with my guts, but I feel awful at the moment. I can't even go out without taking a load of imodium, and although it stops me needing to go to the toilet every five minutes, it doesn't stop the pains. It's costing a lot of money, but I have built up a lot of Boots points. I'm really tired too, I don't know if it's even connected, but my instinct says it is.

In two weeks' time I have to work full time and I don't know how I will manage that many hours because I am so exhausted. I will be on my own in the shop for a few hours and I can't go to the toilet until someone else arrives in case a customer comes in.

I know I need to see a doctor, but I still haven't managed to register with a new doctor since I moved house (in October). I plan to do it tomorrow morning, but I've been planning to do it for weeks and it hasn't worked.

Poor you - hope it's just a temporary thing. >:D<<'> Hope you manage to register with the doc tomorrow.

K x

I don't really know how long it's been, but I think it's at least two weeks now. I've been taking kaolin and morphine, and even though it's only a miniscule dose of morphine, you can get diarrhoea if you stop taking it because your gut has become dependent on it. I don't even know if I am still ill or just dependent on the morphine. I know there are other drugs that can have the same effect as the morphine, but I don't know whether it's worth alternating them to prevent dependency or whether that wouldn't make any difference anyway . . . this is why I need to see the doctor.

I managed to go down there. I couldn't understand the posters about normal opening hours and extended opening hours, and what the difference is between being open and being open and when I would be allowed to make an appointment. There was a big open counter with a sign asking you to come round to the window, but I couldn't see any window.

I was given two forms and they stressed I must provide my NHS number, which my old GP said was not necessary, but did provide. I have to take in photographic ID and proof of address. It's taken me this long to even start the process, I dread to think how long it's going to be before I can actually get to see a doctor. Anyone would think I was trying to scam them!

It may be the stomach bug that has been going around, quite a few people I know including myself have had it. Mine lasted 6 days and sounds the same as what you described. I still saw the GP just to be sure, but if it is then it should go on its own.

Edited by ScienceGeek

i second the stomach bug thing. its a vicious beast and lingers for a very long time! i was crying in so much pain for 4 hours before i finally was sick (but then i have some serious stomach/abdominal issues that seemed to be making it worse) and i'm still not over it and its been a week now. K got it on sunday - she threw up in church! :ph34r: and my sister got it the same day but they weren't as bad as me.

you should be able to see a doctor straight away as a visitor. it takes a 1 page form with your usual details filled in at the time of the appointment. you can then register in your own time. this happens all the time round here as its a big tourist area. here, you just go into the doctors, say you need to see a doctor that day as an emergency patient, and that you're not registered there.

I don't think it's a stomach bug because I haven't had any sickness or nausea, just the same pains I usually get in my gut and really bad diarrhoea, except that it doesn't normally last more than a week.

I tried to get an appointment with my old GP, since I still go that way for work, but they do not have any appointments outside of work hours this week or next week, and said that the week after would just be the same!

By the time you get to see the doctor, you'll probably be well again. Hope it gets better soon - or you finally get to see someone.

K x