Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Why???

Last week I went to register with a new GP and I was surprised that the receptionists were behind reinforced glass, and started to wonder what sort of area I have moved to if GP's receptionists have to be protected like this. Well, I am starting to understand why now.

I waited ages because every time she looked up at me the phone rang and she answered it. I took in my photographic ID (driving licence) and proof of address (council tax bill) like they requested. The receptionist told me I could not use the council tax bill as photographic ID and I told her the driving licence was meant to be the photographic one, but she said that because it was presented to her on the top of the pile and proof of address is first on the list, she had now filled in the form that my driving licence was used as proof of address. So I asked her to throw the form away and start a new one the other way around, but she says a driving licence is not good enough as photographic ID anyway and it needs to be a passport or bus pass.

This system is why they need to be protected by reinforced glass. I am not generally an angry person, but even I wanted to punch someone.

I've also been trying to find out when I will get my appointment with the Chronic Fatigue Service, who I was referred to back in November. They rung me back today and it turns out my GP hasn't bothered to send them my blood test results, so they closed my file. Now my GP is going to send them again and I have to start from the bottom of the waiting list again.

I can't get an appointment with my old GP this week and they won't even look at next week, but have told me to ring them again tomorrow. Surely more appointments will have been filled by tomorrow?

It's a good job I am well enough to jump through all these hoops. I wonder what people with serious illnesses do!

The receptionist told me I could not use the council tax bill as photographic ID and I told her the driving licence was meant to be the photographic one, but she said that because it was presented to her on the top of the pile and proof of address is first on the list, she had now filled in the form that my driving licence was used as proof of address. So I asked her to throw the form away and start a new one the other way around, but she says a driving licence is not good enough as photographic ID anyway and it needs to be a passport or bus pass.

This system is why they need to be protected by reinforced glass. I am not generally an angry person, but even I wanted to punch someone.

I think I would have wanted to punch someone too! :fight: That's really stupid, generally, if you're given a bunch of documents you look through them, then fill in the form... A full driving licence (I think it's pink? :unsure:) is acceptable photographic ID, it's only a provisional one that isn't accepted (not sure why :unsure:). I don't know about these things (honest :ph34r:), but I assume it would be a lot easier to get a fake bus pass than a fake driving licence? And why the need for such checks anyway - you're entitled to register with a GP, and it's not like there's money involved. :wacko:

It's stories like this and many others I've read about people's experiences with GPs that really worry me for when I'm no longer a student as I'll have to leave my GP practise which has been so good with me. :(

i always do this to try and get impartial treatment after a particularly bad experience at my gp's - phone the surgery, and ask what form of photo id is acceptable. more than likely your driving licence will be absolutely fine, as it sounds like you got someone in a bit of a bad mood!

My GP when I lived in Devon was really good. A week after I moved there I had a car accident and was able to register and see a Dr all on the same day. My GP was really supportive, and oddly enough was the same GP I had when I lived in Surrey before.

Registering when I first moved in June was OK, but the actual doctor I saw wasn't much good. But there were other doctors within the practice and I expect I would eventually have tried them all out and found one I liked. I think the mistake with my referral has been a clerical one, but the CFS service really should have chased up my results before just crossing me off their books.

The new doctor has good opening hours including early mornings, late nights and Saturday mornings. You can also book appointments online, which sounds great! I am hoping they will be good when I eventually get to see a doctor. I will need my new GP to support my DLA renewal later this year. I am not entitled to a bus pass, but I luckily already have a passport because applying for a new one is really expensive and takes several weeks.