sawjd

movicol

:( Hello everyone,

Our 7 year old hates this stuff (movicol)land just wanted to know if any parents out there have been successful in getting their children to take this. I have tried to put this in fruit juices but he just has a couple of mouthfuls and thats it. He has been having bowel problems for a few years now and had abdominal pain and screaming fits with it. Been prescribed lactose, did not like that either.

He cannot stand any fruit, does not like any veg, ..... i have tried to hide it, in mash, under gravy, in gravy, tried smoothies, all types of fruit. He refuses. He will eat baked beans...but can't keep having that a source of fibre. He loves cheese practically on anything. He still has to wear nappies at night as the bowel control is not great, he is more relaxed at home but i think he refuses to go properly at school. He jigs about a lot then gives in and goes to the toilet, othertimes he is not in control and says to me when he can feel like having a wee and other times, he says i didn't feel it. He is sometimes so unaware. He is struggling at school in litracy and we are due to put in for a statement of special needs. We are just waiting to speak to a inclusion officer. Then have an IEP again. Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Eldest son cannot stop going and is never solid.His bowels are really bad. He is 18 and i can't get him to see the doc over this.

The sensory problems that our 7 year old has is more a problem than any sensory issues we had with the eldest one. He was much more violent and is still prone to temper tantrums. Just need a solution to this and then we can manage better. When do we get a break as parents ?. thank you for reading this.

best wishes

love sandra

Hi

This is a hard one,maybe you can try bribery may or may not work.It doesnt work for my four year old,he has to take hydration packs which he also wont drink,luckily our doc has said lucozade sport is as good,so we dont push him.He also has to take de- worm meds but he spits it everywhere.

Does he not like squash?This is better than milky drinks for bowel problems.Try different flavours,Vimto is quite nice.Try mix with more water sometimes just the colour of the drink may encourage him.

Good luck >:D<<'>

Hello Justine

Thanks for the post, i am slowly getting the hang of where every thing is on this forum.

I mentioned about movicol to the doctor and found there is a chocolate flavoured one but only the over 12 year olds can have it. Now the doctor mentioned about putting it in a chocolate milkshake, i thought (like you) that milk is not good for bowel problems. I have kept him off it for over a year now as he craved it a lot of the time. I will try squash. Not keen on giving fizzy drinks but if it means he will drink it i can't argue.

Thanks for the advice.

best wishes

love sandra

aah i remember them days ,my son noticted it in anything but his cereal so i mixed it in the milk before puttting in the weetabix of course when he wasnt looking ! :whistle: ,my ds had it for 6 months and they kept upping the dosage but now he doesnt have to have it anymore as he is in a routine now ,i was told to do this as well make them sit on the toilet at a time they can relax just for 10 min same time evey day and with the movical mixed in this worked for us :thumbs:

MY oldest takes this and we mix it in squash has never been a problem getting him to take it like this orange juice also works well. He refused senna though didn,t like the look of it and we mixed it in yoghurt before sticking the lid back down, hated being so deceitful but it had to be done. We also mixed it with coke whlst on holiday and couldn,t get yoghurts, worked well but didn,t like giving coke but Ok in the short term. Marcus has been on meds for his bowels sice aged 2 he is now 14 and it is now a part of life. Piers is the opposite like your oldest, no problems and cleans himself up. My DD has problems and also takes movicol on occasions..

:( Hello everyone,

Our 7 year old hates this stuff (movicol)land just wanted to know if any parents out there have been successful in getting their children to take this. I have tried to put this in fruit juices but he just has a couple of mouthfuls and thats it. He has been having bowel problems for a few years now and had abdominal pain and screaming fits with it. Been prescribed lactose, did not like that either.

Have you any idea what causes this, Ross had symptoms identical to this and also had bad eczema before we cut out gluten. Might be worth asking for a Coeliac blood test?

aah i remember them days ,my son noticted it in anything but his cereal so i mixed it in the milk before puttting in the weetabix of course when he wasnt looking ! :whistle: ,my ds had it for 6 months and they kept upping the dosage but now he doesnt have to have it anymore as he is in a routine now ,i was told to do this as well make them sit on the toilet at a time they can relax just for 10 min same time evey day and with the movical mixed in this worked for us :thumbs:

Hello gem gems,

Sorry but i am still getting used to this site but if i shoud post twice the same thing could you let me know and i will try and work out what i am doing wrong.

I also meant to say in my last post that i still find it difficult with our sons and have to remind myself that its not an attitude they have, its not them doing this delibrately, its just the way they are. I have to keep reminding myself but its so difficult with people who annoy the hell out of me by saying all children do that or my son is like taht and they will grow out of it. The difference is to me they adapt they do not grow out of it. I understand this but when it comes to personally trying to change my language and how i use it with them, i really really struggle and feel i am no better than the people who do not understand.

I wish there was some courses or dvds on how to learn to stop yourself and try to adapt use of language.

Hopefully there will be something on this site. Haven't had a proper chance to look today and the eldest is due back at one from college. OH has said to me prepare yourself for round two of an arguement we (both me and eldest) had this morning about going out tonight and who is he with and why i need to know where he is. He is not telling me because he doesn't understand why i need to know and not becuase he is being stroppy, i know this but can't help feeling worried.

Sorry for the rambling.

Best wishes

love sandra

My son used to not feel when he needed to go to the loo, or would go through phrases of always feeling he needed to go.

We found out a number of things relating to this.

Firstly the sensory side of it. It is hyper and hypo sensory processing. Your son could be flutuating between the two and therefore cannot 'feel' when he needs to go.

The other implications of that is that often sensory systems shut down when a child is trying to focus through one sense. Or the senses are not integrated and information is either not being processed at all or incorrectly. This is called mono processing. So your child might also find it hard to look and listen at the same time as well. Or maybe able to look and listen but loses body sense. My son would sit in a hot classroom with his jumper on sweating and be unaware of it and would refuse to remove his jumper. However as soon as he left the classroom and the additional cognitive and sensory demands that required he would immediately remove his jumper because he hates to feel even the slightest sweaty!

So there could be huge sensory implications for learning as well on top of the sensory issues relating to toiletting. Internal sensations such as needing the loo, feeling hungry, thirsty or full up are all internal sensations regulated by sensory integration and processing.

Sometimes getting into a routine of sitting on the loo, in the correct position ie. knees slightly higher than hip joints can being on a stool.

My son was also unable to urinate standing up for a long time. He had to sit down to do it.

All the food difficulties you are having may well be down to sensory issues involving smell, taste and texture of food.

Some children do respond well to a glutein free and casein free diet. I haven't noticed a huge difference with my son. And I do allow him cheese sometimes. But he has unsweetened soya milk with cocoa pops or with nesquick instead of dairy milk.

Other posters have said that a new glutein free bread 'genius' is supposed to be very good. I've seen it in most leading supermarkets.

Regarding the taste of movicol. I don't know what this tastes like. But I usually had success with putting any medicine (including antibiotics), in a glass of milk mixed with chocolate nesquick.

Another thing we did that took years, was to start getting my son used to taking tablets. We used fish oil supplements etc to get him used to it. Now he can take any medication in tablet form.

Another thing to consider, is yeast infections and urine infections. My son has had both. So if your child starts to urinate frequently, then get a sample taken to the GP for analysis. My son has had two urine infections so far. He tends not to feel pain, so he does not tell me anything. He has even had a severe ear infection to the extent one side of his face became swollen and he said nothing. After the GP saw him and said how bad it was I asked him "Does your ear hurt you?" and he said "yes I can't get to sleep." But I had had to ask him the direct question. He had not volunteered that information.

My son's paediatrician said that if my son were to get another yeast infection ie. he should be tested for it whether he has difficulties with urine or stools. And if it were positive, then she would want him to go on a long course of medication to kill a yeast infection.

So you really need to look at it and attack it from all the different angles that are relevant to your child.

When Logan was having movicol the only way we could get him to take it was in his orange squash. He had it when he was around 18 months - 2 years - he was so constipated everytime he tried to go to the loo he would vommit from pushing so hard :( I have to say his constipation cleared completely when we removed dairy from his diet. He can have small amounts in chocolate etc but doesn't have cheese/milk etc.

Lynne

DD was initially prescribed movicol, we also tried mixing it in almost every food and drink possible and she still refused it even in very small doses. When i spoke to continence nurse and asked if there was an alternative, she prescribed sodium picosulphate, DD takes this no problem and actually likes the taste! May be worth asking if this may be suitable for you to try.