Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

step by step drawing guides

somewhere, somewhen someone gave me a link to a resource of step-by-step guides to drawing basic pictures (house etc) does anyone know of the link? K has moved on to drawing pictures of things, but only faces. i want to help her to progress past faces, but she wont listen to me, so the guide needs to be on paper so she can 'do it for herself'

sending you a pm with my mums email - she does art lessons by email x she does it on a 'if you can afford to pay something, thats great, otherwise no fee'

I don't know of any link to something like this.

My son did not draw at all until recently. He is now 9. He would get extremely distressed if asked to attempt to draw. He appeared not to know where or how to start and he expected an exact replica of what he had seen and was trying to draw.

We started by getting him to draw around shapes. That helped alot.

He then needed someone to 'start' the drawing for him ie. if he wanted to draw a robot I would draw a square in the middle of the paper (to represent the head), and he could complete it from there.

He needed lots of encouragement that his drawings were good as they were. He frequently screwed them up, got very distressed because they were not good enough for him.

Knowing what I know now, alot of his difficulties were down to motor planning issues which are probably somewhere due to dyspraxia. Those difficulties can be physical or cognitive.

But the positive is that he is now drawing. He can get a bit manic about it ie. nothing for days and then maybe 20 drawings one after the other. But they are very detailed and precise and even age appropriate, which I think is remarkable for a child that has never drawn until about a year ago.

I would also add that for long periods he would only draw one type of drawings eg. all snakes, then all star wars, then all doctor who etc. This child may simply not be able to draw anything she has not already seen, or she may need to keep drawing the same thing. If that is the case, then I would try to encourage her to keep drawing faces and see if she can begin to draw different ones ie. different colour hair/eyes etc. Faces of a family. Faces that are happy or sad etc. Keep extending it in that way and then gradually broaden it further from a face to a person. Then a person in different environments etc. But bear in mind that that may take years. I've been working on this since my son was 4 and this new explosion of drawing has only now appeared at age 9.

i found them! they're on the do2learn website, under the resources - PECS thread on this site. i forgot to say the reason i think these will work is she was given a book for christmas which was a wipe-clean book (peppa pig i think) and dry-wipe marker and then one page had a step by step how to draw a dinosaur (just a bloby shape with eyes and a smile, spikes etc), and she spent weeks doing this over and over. the guides have the instructions down one side and then space to draw so i'll laminate them and give her some pens. i think she feels more comfortable drawing where she can wipe it out straight away or scribble over it so if its 'wrong' its gone.

she loves drawing, even if it is just faces and i suspect will be quite good at it, she had underdeveloped motor skills when she came but has made fantastic progress at it over the last few months of intensive play-dohing. now she can draw round templates very well and has a photographic memory so can replicate things perfectly when the mood takes. all good preperation for when she has to start writing at school... although again we have a set of dry-wipe boards with big letters on and she spends ages drawing the letters out perfectly.